Join now

5 Ways to Say Sorry in Chinese (Yangon)

Have you ever bumped into someone and not knowing how to say sorry in Chinese? Or have you ever heard people saying these phrases throughout your travel in China? Certainly, “Please, thank you, and sorry” are the most useful magic phrases in all around the world. Knowing how to apologize is important and a way of showing politeness.

Do you know how to say “thank you” in Chinese? Check here for our post about “ways to say thank you in Chinese”. Don’t forget to check out our last post about Chinese Family Tree and Leftover Women. What’s more, sign up for our free trial with a 1-on-1 professional tutor!

1.对不起(Duìbùqǐ)
对不起(Duìbùqǐ)is the sorry that more used in day to day life when you’ve made mistakes, causing trouble or asking for forgiveness.

Nǐ gāng cǎi dào wǒ de jiǎole!
你刚踩到我的脚了!
You just stepped on my foot!

A! Duìbùqǐ duìbùqǐ, wǒ bùshì gùyì de
啊! 对不起对不起,我不是故意的
Ahh, sorry sorry. I didn’t mean to.

2. 抱歉(bàoqiàn)
抱歉(bàoqiàn)is another way of saying sorry to show your condolence or sorry for something that happened to someone.

Duìyú shān shān de shì, wǒ hěn bàoqiàn
对于珊珊的事,我很抱歉
I’m sorry for the things that happened to Shannon.

Zěnme huì cái yī dà zǎo jiù qīngcài jiù mài guāngle ne?
怎么会才一大早青菜就賣光了呢?
How is it possible that all the vegetables are sold out this early morning?

Zhēn de hěn bàoqiàn, wǒmen qīngcài jīntiān liàng bǐjiào shǎo
真的很抱歉,我们青菜今天量比较少
I’m really sorry, we didn’t have many vegetables today.

3. 不好意思(bù hǎoyìsi)
不好意思(bù hǎoyìsi)is more like excuse me or when you feel embarrassed about something.

Bù hǎoyìsi, jièguò yīxiaˋ
不好意思,借過一下
Excuse me, excuse me.

Wǒmen lǎobǎn túrán yǒushì bùnéng chūxí, zhēn de hěn bù hǎoyìsi
我们老板突然有事不能出席,真的很不好意思
I’m really sorry. Our boss can’t make it, something emergency came up.

4. 拍谢(pāi sè)
拍谢(pāi sè)is only used in Taiwan. It’s the Taiwanese of sorry and a more casual way of saying sorry.

Pāi sè, wǒ gāng zài máng, méi kōng jiē diànhuaˋ
拍谢,我刚在忙,没空接电话
Sorry, I didn’t get your call. I was busy.

5. 搜哩(sōu li)
搜哩(sōu li)is a transliteration from English “sorry”. It’s mainly a slang online but you could also use it in day to day life to your close friends.

Sōu li sōu li, ràng nǐmen jiǔ děngle
搜哩搜哩,让你们久等了
Sorry to kept you guys waiting for so long.

Still get a bit confused about how to use all the sorrys? Don’t worry just try to use it whenever you need to say sorry or excuse me. Of course, don’t be shy to say “不好意思(bù hǎoyìsi)” to ask whether you’re saying them correctly or not.

FacebookTwitterRedditEmailShare
This entry was posted in Chinese Conversation, Chinese Language Learning, Chinese Phrases, Chinese Survival Skills, TutorMandarin, What's On and tagged chinese, phrases, sorry, TutorMandarin. Bookmark the permalink.
Post navigation
← Chinese Family Tree

Yangon Forum

Our Global Partners