Join now

My experience with house hunting (Yangon)

I arrived two weeks ago in Yangon and would like to share my views on my house hunting experience.

First I posted in different Yangon groups for support but also did my own research.

I found support from some real state agents through this forum, then I found in the web, and Pronto.

I won't recommend any in particular, as it is not the purpose of this posting. It is more about my impression on the house market and the exorbitant prices for renting a place in Yangon, sometimes for houses that are not worth it (the price).

At least it would be nice for the real estate agents to check the houses beforehand and give some advice to the landlords, so the house is in a condition that can impress any potential client.

Secondly, I would advice the house hunters to stick to their budget, even if you like the house, don't look desperate, there are plenty to choose from but you need patience and time on your side.

Be aware that the websites are not regularly updated, and the house you might be interested on, possibly is already gone.

The other thing to consider is: no fees against agent's fees.

Not all expats have a generous budget for renting, there are many (like us) that come from NGOs sector.

Hope this is helpful.