Join now

Need info on most recent banking system in Myanmar (Yangon)

Hello all,

I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light about the most recent up to date daily banking system in Myanmar, for depositing money (from salary) or just for saving and day to day use. I have read several posts here on how tricky the banking system is, however, these posts are from Protected content 2015, and we are now in May Protected content . I believe things are changing progressively.

My husband and I are planning to move to Yangoon in 3 months or so, and are keen to know about the banking system prior to moving to get ourselves prepared, in terms of what need to be done.

Are ATM and internet banking already commonly used now in Myanmar? If yes, from which bank? Local or foreign banks? Can I use my overseas (i.e., Sweden and Indonesia) bank cards (with VISA or PLUS logo) to draw money from local/foreign bank's ATM there? We are now living in Sweden but originally from Indonesia. So, we probably need to have banking linkages with our bank accounts in both Indonesia and Sweden.

I have never been to Myanmar and would appreciate some advise.

Thank you very much.

Regards,
Eny

Yangon Forum

Our Global Partners