Join now

Newcomer relocating to Yangon - Advice please?

Hello Internations People! :)

I will be starting a new job in Yangon soon and will be moving there in April. I've never been to Myanmar before so I'm not sure what to expect. I have so many questions!

I will need to find myself an apartment/condo from 1 May. I will be working in Downtown area (Strand Road near the corner of Sule Road). I would like to live in an expat friendly area near work or at least between Protected content from work, walking or Grab depending on distance.

Can anyone please recommend which townships I should be looking at to live in? I don't need a big place as it will just be me living there, but it needs to be neat and clean. Definitely with a western style bathroom, water heater, generator (in apartment not just for lift), AC, Wifi etc. A gym or pool is probably a stretch, but would be a huge bonus. My budget is only USD Protected content USD Protected content month - is it possible to find a decent place on this budget? Everything I've seen on the Facebook groups seems to be way over budget!

Also, based on what I've read online, power cuts seem to be a major problem. I've read that when the electricity cuts out then there is also no water, toilets don't flush etc. Is this correct?

Is there anything else I should be looking out for? What were some of the problems you faced when moving to Myanmar? Where can I get decent full cover health insurance? What type of electrical plugs do they use there?

Any advice you can offer to a newcomer would be most welcome :)

Many thanks,
Nicole

Yangon Forum

Our Global Partners