Join now

German Tax question (Beijing)


Dear All,

I have a very specific tax question that perhaps some of you would know the answer to or at least would be able to point me in the right direction.

I am a Canadian working in China for a German consultancy. My Protected content is almost up, which means I have to start paying Chinese tax (instead of German). The question is, since I am married to a German and have my immediate family ties (spouse, children, house) in Germany, does that mean I have to pay German tax instead of Chinese tax (since Germany and China has an agreement regarding double taxation so I would only pay one of them). Normally for my single German colleagues it is quite straight forward, they simply switch over to pay the Chinese tax, but my company seems to think my situation is different and therefore have requested me to find out.

Thanks very much for your help.



Beijing Forum