Interested in Cultural Exchange? (Dallas)
I am an International Exchange Coordinator and I place students into volunteer host home from 14 countries around the world. The kids are excited to spend a semester or a school year experiencing American High School and culture. You could share your culture and the American Experience with a student from Austria, Denmark, Germany, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, Norway, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, or Taiwan.
If you are interested in volunteering to host an exchange student, or know someone that may be, please contact me with any questions or to apply! Thank you in advance. Below please find some more helpful information.
Here are the requirements for the student:
The EF exchange student is expected to maintain a positive attitude and a healthy relationship with the host family, IEC, school and community. Students are expected to maintain a “C” average or better in all their classes. Other key responsibilities include:
• Covering all personal costs
• Buying insurance and optional dental coverage
• Communicating with the host family and IEC
• Participating in mandatory EF meetings
• Paying for school lunches
• Participating in school and community activities
Host families are volunteers:
The host family provides a welcoming and supportive home for the exchange student throughout the year. Families are strongly encouraged to think of their students as full-fledged members of the family, not as guests.
Key host family responsibilities include:
• Providing three daily meals, plus snacks
• Engaging in family activities
• Communicating with the student and IEC
• Attending mandatory EF meetings
• Arranging transportation to/from school and activities
***Host families are not paid. According the U.S. Department of State, host families cannot receive financial gain from their participation in a student exchange program. This rule is designed to ensure that host families are participating in the program for the right reasons. However, in recognition of their role as citizen ambassadors, all host families are eligible to receive a charitable tax deduction on their tax return.