Join now

Making friends in Dublin

Views

So I joined here because in my experience, I've found it's impossible to make friends with Irish people, and that even if you do, you're at the bottom of their (real life) friends list, unless perhaps you live down the road from them! :) In the decade I've lived here, I have gathered many acquaintances and a couple of friends, yet my real friends are still in London, while I'm pretty much isolated in Dublin. I've even made new friends in London on my trips back there, who I keep in touch with. I just don't understand how it's supposed to work in Dublin. You're supposed to only meet friends to get drunk, and you're not supposed to invite them to your house. You are supposed to answer every one of their questions (because you are the stranger in THEIR land), and expect them to tell you pretty much nothing about themselves. They are allowed to insult us if we are from England, to whatever degree they wish, because that's just par for the course apparently. They also need to 'slag' each other, and us, in general, because that's their way of being 'friendly', it seems. This 'slagging' can be way OTT by the way, because the 'I was drunk' excuse can just be used the next day. Haha. Anyone who thinks Ireland and UK are the same, well they aren't, they are just so different. So I never wanted to join something like this website until now, because I wanted to believe that I could eventually make Irish friends like the English friends I already have. But well, it just ain't gonna happen so here I am. :):):)

Dublin Forum

Our Global Partners