Join now

Please Help Me Understand Housing (Frankfurt)

I will be moving to Frankfurt in July Protected content attend school at Goethe University.

Here is what I have learned so far......................................................
Housing is generally unfurnished. This means many places that I will consider renting will have no kitchen. I have to purchase a refrigerator, countertops, sink, dishwasher.

Housing ads do not list the number of bedrooms, like in the U.S. They list total rooms. So a two room apartment for rent is two empty rooms. I could build a kitchen in one room and put a bedroom in the other room. (bathrooms are not included in the room count. So a 2 bedroom apartment actually has 3 rooms if you include the bathroom).

Here is what I don't know...............................................................
*Where can I buy inexpensive appliances such as sinks or refrigerators?

*Can I buy used/pre-owned? Where?

*Do I have to buy a toilet and clothing washer and dryer or are those included in apartments?

*Where do I buy an inexpensive mattress?

*Where is the best location as a university student to live?
*** I am having a *very difficult* time understanding the zip codes, and neighborhoods and trying to understand where the public transportation stops are, and the length of time for my travel to the university. I would like something with a direct route to the university, with no places where I have to change the train or bus.

I could greatly use some advice on this last question. I am having a difficult time searching for an apartment because I am very confused on where to look. Thank you so much for your time.

Frankfurt Forum