Join now

Moving to Hanoi in late May 2013

Hi, my name is Bec and I will be moving to Hanoi in late May (I am yet to get the exact date, hopefully will know today).

My partner is an accountant with a mining company and will be working at the Ban Phuc Mine site for 6 motnhs. He leaves today and I will be meeting him in Hong Kong for a 12 day holiday before coming to Hanoi.

I am an Aussie and have only been overseas once in the past (Thailand last year). I know very little about Vietnam and it's culture and frankly am a little petrified about moving their without my fiance as I will be on my own.

I have until recently worked in Melbourne and Dandenong as a Family Law solicitor and after being made redundant figured I would take the opportunity to have a break and explore Vietnam while my fiance worked (only a little so we can do most of it together). We are also looking at moving to Hong Kong in 6 months where he will set up a new division of his company. I am looking to work there so I will be studying while in Vietnam to get admitted to practice as a solicitor in Hong Kong.

Essentially I am just looking for some tips and advice about what to look out for, where I can find other expats if I get lonely and basic information that would be useful!

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Hanoi Forum