Join now

Long term social visit pass application (Kuala Lumpur)

My wife is Malaysian and we've been living in Canada but are planning to move to KL in a couple of years. I'm Canadian and am planning to get the LTSVP when the time comes for us to move.

Have some questions regarding the process. Seems like I need to apply for it in Malaysia so I'm guessing I would come in as a tourist and then apply for the LTSVP once in Malaysia? We would be bringing our belongings and staying with my sister in law's family temporarily. Don't know if bringing all our belongings will raise any flags at immigration at the airport.

I will also need to work so I will be getting the LTSVP with endorsement to work. As I understand, this may be applied after I get the LTSVP. Do I need a company to hire me before I do this? If so, would getting a work permit be better than a LTSVP?

Would appreciate any help and knowledge on this subject as I'm researching my options and will feel more comfortable if I know the process.

My professional background is in Web development but using an older programming language (Coldfusion) and I don't see many Coldfusion jobs in KL so I'm planning to upgrade to a more modern language like Ruby within the next couple of years before our move.

If anyone has some connections or advice I would love to hear them. Thanks!

Kuala Lumpur Forum

Our Global Partners