Hey everyone, I am completing a university project on expats living in Lisbon. It would be AMAZING AND MASSIVELY HELPFUL, not least to say interesting, to find out on a personal level the perks and the difficulties of living as an expat in Lisbon from the people themselves!
1) Why Lisbon? (And where are you originally from?) What initially made you want to trade in your previous life for a new life in the Algarve? What does Lisbon have to offer that nowhere else in the world can?
2) What has been the most difficult adjustment you have had to make? Have you experienced any major setbacks and how did you overcome them?
3) How easy was it for you to find work? Are you working in a similar sector to what you were before the move?
4) Do you speak Portuguese? How difficult was the language boundary to overcome? And were the locals sympathetic with you if arrived not knowing more than the basic "hello", "please" and "thank you"?
5) Have you experienced any discrimination based on gender, race or sexuality?
5) Are you a homosexual that has been living in Portugal over the past few decades? It wasn't until Protected content same-sex sexual activity was decriminalised again. How did this change of law affect your life as an expat? Or more generally, how have you found Lisbon's culture fully accepting towards homosexuality?
6) Anything else you would like to add about you experience is absolutely welcome!!
Thank you in advance :)