Join now

Expat package - what needs to be in? (San Francisco)

Views

Always signaling that I would be interested in a job overseas, my company’s HR just approached me with a possible job option in San Francisco. All I know for now is that it would be for 3 years and that the office is right in the financial district.

HR wants to get in touch with more information and discuss the package further later this month and I want to be prepared for the contract negotiation as I cannot afford overspending whilst working in SF. Therefore, my most urgent questions are:

1) What would you recommend to be the minimum yearly income necessary to afford a 1 bedroom flat in a safe area within a 45min max commute radius? My partner would move in later but can currently not quit his job.
2) Where would that safe area be? I don’t care if it is not “the place to be” or if it’s foggy, I just want to feel safe and it should not be completely run down. Do you have any preferences and maybe a real estate or relocation agent you can recommend?

Although we always loved the idea working abroad for a while, I am currently torn between being either ecstatic (working abroad and hey, it is San Francisco!) or disenchanted by the idea having to live way below the standard I am used to, simply because I cannot afford anything else.

Thank you very much in advance for your help
Riccarda

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

San Francisco Forum