Join now

Obtaining a Driving Permit if U R a Non-Resident! (Trinidad & Tobago)

This applies to expats who may not be fortunate to have an HR Department that can assist them in applying for a Trinidad and Tobago driving permit. It is IMPORTANT to note that you must apply for your driving permit within 90days from entry date into Trinidad.

If you are a non-resident and the holder of a valid driving permit from another country, you are entitled to drive for 90 days from the date of arrival in Trinidad and Tobago with your foreign driving permit. If your period of stay is more than 90 days, you are required to apply for a Trinidad and Tobago driving permit.

How can I apply for a Trinidad and Tobago driving permit?

A Regulation Study Guide and Highway Code is available from the cashier at all Transport Division offices for TT$15.00. The nearest Transport Office is on Wrightson Road, Port of Spain. This Guide will help you prepare for the written regulation examination.

When you are ready to write the exam, you must bring three Protected content size photos with a green background to the nearest Transport Division office and:

* Complete Application for Driving Permit/Endorsement (Form No. 4).
* Produce your valid foreign driving permit and passport showing date of
Protected content .
* Complete the written regulation exam to test your knowledge of traffic
Protected content , motor vehicle laws and safe driving techniques.
* Pay the applicable fee if successful.

No appointment is necessary. You can usually collect your driver's permit the same day if you come to the office before noon.

If you wait more than 90 days after your arrival to apply for a driving permit, you must complete the entire process for obtaining a driving permit, including a road test.

Information on applying for a provisional driver's permit if you have waited more than 90 days is as follows:

Applying for a Provisional Driver's Permit (Learner's Permit)

A Provisional Permit is a learner's permit. A Provisional Permit entitles you to drive a vehicle of the class specified, but only when you are under the immediate supervision of a person who has held a driving permit for more than five years. You must be at least 17 years old to apply for a Provisional Permit. (This will entail signing up with a driving school)

How do I apply for a Provisional Permit?

You must visit your local Transport Division office to apply for a Provisional Permit. At the office, you must:

* Complete an Application for Driver's Permit/Endorsement Form
Protected content No. 4).
* Complete a Medical Certificate (Form No. 2) if you are over 63 years old
Protected content if you are applying for a Class 2 or 7 permit.
* Produce your original birth certificate and a valid national ID card or
Protected content .
* Submit two passport size photographs.
* Pay the prescribed fees (listed below).

Your Provisional Permit will be issued immediately. The Permit is valid for a period of 12 months from the date of issue. You can apply for a Driver's Permit any time after obtaining a Provisional permit.

Where can I apply?

An application for a Provisional Permit can be done at any Transport Division office with the exception of the St. James office.

How much does it cost?

The application fee for a Provisional Permit is TT$30.00. Please call to confirm the cost as prices may have changed.

Where can I find more information?

For more information on applying for a Provisional Permit, please contact the Licensing Division office nearest to you or the head office of the Transportation Division.

Ministry of Works and Transport
Transport Division
Wrightson Road
Port of Spain
Trinidad, West Indies
Tel. Protected content

If anyone requires any further information, please contact me.

Janice Learmond-Criqui
Ambassador Protected content

Trinidad & Tobago Forum

Our Global Partners