Join now

Easy German Business Teaching philosophie (Warsaw)

1) Clear structuring of the lesson: Students should always know what my learning objectives are in each lesson and how I intend to achieve these learning objectives, i.e. they should know what content is part of the lesson. They should know their role in the different phases of the lesson. For this we need rituals. Pupils should know them, follow them and put them into practice.

2) Effective time management: I believe that good time management is as useful and important in teaching as it is in many other professions. Therefore, it is essential to plan each lesson carefully. You should give the students the time they need to learn the content of the lesson.

3) Good learning atmosphere: This is very important. Mutual respect between teachers and students is crucial. They must be able to rely on each other and take responsibility for each other. The student must feel comfortable in class. Pupils should feel that their teacher has a genuine interest in them as people and wants to help them progress in their learning. Pupils should be encouraged to motivate and support each other. They should pursue individual and common goals.

4) Transparency: As a teacher, I have to be transparent about my tasks: What steps will be taken to achieve the desired learning goals? The whole learning process should be transparent for the students. At the end of the lesson, the results should be summarized. They should be understandable for every student.

5) Meaningful communication: This is perhaps the most important aspect, together with the third. Communication should be the main focus of language teaching. Grammar is also essential, but it should serve the purpose of enabling communication. A stimulating culture of communication should be the aim of language teaching. Students should be involved in lesson planning and encouraged to give constructive feedback.
6) Variable methods: Teaching is a production like a play and should not always be the same. It should be variable, i.e. the teacher should have a repertoire of different methods.

7) Individual support: If I have a group of 5 students, then I have 5 individuals who all think differently, who all have their own learning behavior. Different learning styles… This means that, as far as I am able, I have to meet very different needs. Each individual needs appropriate support. A central concept in this context is the so-called internal differentiation, which is especially necessary in inhomogeneous groups.

8) Intelligent practice: Everything that is introduced in the foreign language classroom needs to be practiced in order to consolidate it. To achieve this, the teacher can familiarize the students with certain learning strategies that are suitable for each type of learner. The methods should vary when the students do their homework so that they do not get tired but see homework as a real opportunity to improve their language skills.

9) Clear performance requirements: Performance demands should always be transparent. Students are entitled to immediate feedback. The teacher should try to be as clear and fair as possible.

I believe that all of the above are necessary for students to progress in their learning process. What makes a good teacher, apart from his professional qualifications, is his love for his fellow human beings and a healthy sense of humor.
It goes without saying that the four skills (speaking, listening, reading, writing) need to be improved in language teaching. Sometimes the teacher should include project work or an e-learning phase in the lessons. Personally, I like creative writing, such as poetry, and I want to encourage my students to have creative experiences by writing their own texts and presenting them to an audience. I also want them to read as much as possible in the language and listen as much as possible by watching series, films, or the news. Pronunciation must also be practiced, especially if the student's mother tongue belongs to a language family that is (very) distant from the language of instruction. Finally, I would like to emphasize that, in my opinion, students should not only learn the language itself, but also acquire intercultural knowledge.

Warsaw Forum

Our Global Partners