The 41 Places to Go in 2011
The 41 Places to Go in Protected content
New York Times - Travel
Published: January 7, Protected content
This is an interesting list, would you go to some or all of places? Do you agree with the 41 choices are the most interesting places to visit in Protected content ?
Which destinations are you least and best favorites? What would you add to this list?
Here are the 41 Places to Go in Protected content , according to the NYT. For the full text, see the second post or the link.
Summary of list:
1. Santiago, Chile
Undaunted by an earthquake, a city embraces modern culture.
2. San Juan Islands, Wash.
Bold-face restaurateurs vie with unspoiled nature. Nature wins.
3. Koh Samui, Thailand
A toned-down version of Phuket, heavy on wellness and food.
Where a country’s hardships are a visitor’s gain.
A reborn cathedral joins fashion-forward galleries and hotels.
6. Republic of Georgia
A rustic ski wonderland on the verge of discovery.
Anticipating the Protected content , a slew of new hotels and restaurants.
8. Loreto, Mexico
A beach hideaway with sport fishing gets a luxury resort.
9. Park City, Utah
Beyond the film festival, a growing group of top-tier resorts.
10. Cali, Colombia
Cafe culture is on the rise while salsa fuels the night life.
11. The Danube
From Budapest to the Black Sea, new cruises on a storied river.
12. Niseko, Japan
An Aspen emerges in Asia, with luxury to spare.
Hawaii’s most developed island adds resorts and attractions.
14. Antwerp, Belgium
A new breed of boutiques have made it a fashionista’s paradise.
15. Melbourne, Australia
New hotels plus big-name chefs put Sydney on notice.
16. Tlemcen, Algeria
An ancient Islamic city dresses up for a gala year.
17. Sopot and Gdansk, Poland
Poland’s Baltic coast welcomes party hoppers and soccer fans.
18. Erzurum, Turkey
Skiing in Turkey? A winter sports capital emerges in Anatolia.
19. Hyderabad, India
Dynastic grandeur in the heart of modern India.
20. Manchester, England
An industrial city reinvents its famed musical past.
21. Tallinn, Estonia
The beautiful capital city aims to shed its stag-party past.
22. Fogo Island, Newfoundland
An art colony blooms on remote and rugged shores.
With new resorts and casinos, the city lets its hair down.
24. Port Ghalib, Egypt
A low-key beach escape with clear water and sea creatures.
25. Whistler, British Columbia
The Olympians are gone. Now it’s your turn.
26. Guimarães, Portugal
A city of youth is fired up by its art scene.
27. Olympic Park, Wash.
Bad weather is good for skiers and storm-watchers.
28. Dresden, Germany
A new museum leads the way to a historic city’s future.
29. Oualidia, Morocco
On a Moroccan lagoon, oysters, flamingoes and no crowds.
On an African isle, luxury lures the après safari set.
31. Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
The ranches beyond a historic village offer a dose of rural chic.
32. Tozeur, Tunisia
Camel racing, souks and eco-lodging in a Saharan oasis.
33. Hangzhou, China
An hour from Shanghai, a historic jewel goes five-star.
34. Iraqi Kurdistan
Safety, history and a warm welcome in a stable corner of Iraq.
35. Durham, N.C.
A downtown turnaround means food worth a trip.
Mountains, medieval architecture and unexpected night life.
37. Pingyao, China
Ming architecture is intact as contemporary culture takes root.
38. Salonika, Greece
Out of the country’s economic woes, a new wave of artists.
39. Okinawa, Japan
A ‘Japanese Amazon’ with some luxury thrown in.
A scene pops up in abandoned buildings, and glamour rises.
Big-time music arrives in a town known for beaches and art.
Here's Fodor's 21 Places We're Going in Protected content
Travel destination recommendations, with great photos. Amalfi Coast is at the top of my list! What's yours?
1. Asheville: Sample Arty Appalachian Culture
2. Atacama Desert: Remember the Miners in Chile
3. Stratford-upon-Avon: Celebrate Shakespeare
4. Stockholm: Seek Dragon Tattoos and Water Views
5. Amalfi Coast: Classic Italy with Modern Twists
6. Hawaii: Fresh Resorts and More Flights
7. Copenhagen: Make a Foodie Pilgrimage to Noma
8. Holon: Check Out the Next Bilbao
9. Mozambique: Off-the-Radar Sand and Safari
10. Beirut: Reemerging Middle Eastern Hotspot
11. Nevis: Soft Luxury in the Caribbean
12. Los Angeles: America's Contemporary Art Mecca
13. Tokyo: More Accessible than Ever
14. Willamette Valley: Boutique Hotels and Pinot Noir
15. Nicaragua: Eco-Adventures and Remote Beaches
16. Toronto: Quick North of the Border Getaway
17. Yucatan Peninsula: Run out the Mayan Calendar
18. New York City: Mark the 10th Anniversary of 9/11
19. Marrakesh: Indulge in Moroccan Elegance
20. Finland: Explore the Capitals of Culture and Design
21. Curacao: Visit the World's Youngest Country