Join now

Work permit in Kenya

Its is much easier to obtain a work permit in Kenya than most people believe it to be.

Also in cases when a person arrives in Kenya and want to work same day, one can apply for a special pass to avoid working with a business or holiday visa. The special pass is issued with 48hrs.

Additionally, there are 9 classes of work permits that you can apply for in Kenya and not the two main ones : Class D & G.

The 9 classes of work permits in Kenya are:
Class A: Prospecting and Mining

This class is for persons intending to engage in prospecting for minerals or mining in Kenya whether alone or in partnership.

Class B: Agriculture and Animal Husbandry

Work permit issued to persons wishing to invest in Agriculture and Animal Husbandry. You can lease a price of land and use it for farming or keeping animals.

Class C: Prescribed Profession

This is a class for persons of a prescribed profession who intends to practice that profession whether alone or in partnership in Kenya e.g. Doctors, Pharmacists, Lawyers etc.

Class D. Employments

This issued to a person who is offered specific employment by a specific employer who is qualified to undertake that employment. Please note in most cases, the class D may not be renewable after 2 years,

Class F: Specific Manufacturing:

This class of permit is for applicants or their partners who intend to engage in specific manufacturing in Kenya.

Class G: Specific Trade, Business or Consultancy

This class is for persons who intend to engage in whether alone or in partnership in a specific business, consultancy or profession (other than a prescribed profession) in Kenya.

Class I: Approved Religious or Charitable activities

Work/Residence permit issued to a member of missionary society approved by the Government of Kenya and whose presence is beneficial to the country.

Class K: Ordinary Residents:

Residence permit issued to persons who have an assured income derived from sources outside and undertakes not to accept paid employment of any kind. If you are over 35 years and have $25,000 .Also good for spouses who may not be granted dependant passes e.g. unmarried partners.

Class M: Refugees

Work permit issued to Conventional Refugees to persons who have been granted refugee status in Kenya in accordance with the refugee law of Kenya and any spouse of such refugee who intends to take up employment or engage in any specific trade occupation, business or profession.

World Forum

Our Global Partners