Opportunity to work with CAFOD (Abuja)
Finance and Administrative Officer
CAFOD’s Mission is to promote human development and social justice in witness to Christian Faith and gospel values.
• To be responsible for providing efficient and effective office finance and administration to CAFOD Office in Nigeria
• Line manages Office Assistant
• Ensures financial and administrative compliance
• Responsible for producing all budget analysis and reporting for office and programme finances
• Not a budget holder
This role reports to the Country Representative in Nigeria
• This post directly manages Office Assistant.
Ensure effective and efficient maintenance CAFODs finances in Nigeria (50%):
• Responsible for book-keeping using relevant software
• Preparation of monthly accounts in compliance with CAFOD’s financial procedures
• Manage the bank accounts
• Assist in maintaining overview of the programme and office finances, providing accurate and timely updates to Country Representatives and CAFOD in London when requested to.
• Ensure that CAFOD Financial standards, policies, and procedures are disseminated to all programme staff and partner staff as appropriate and documentation is placed in Sharepoint and available for ready reference in physical files.
• Coordinate the timely submission of any records and accounts as required.
• Assist in conducting financial assessments of CAFODs programme work, reviewing budgets and reports, reviewing audits; assist in identifying any financial problems or fraud.
• Support the budgeting processes and suggest relevant changes as and when necessary.
• Ensure full accountability through effective record keeping.
• Assist in training of programme staff in the policies and procedures for financial accountability.
• Ensure upward and downward transparency and accountability throughout the programme.
• Preparation of documents for annual or donor audits.
• Under supervision of Country Representative, ensure accurate and timely monthly payroll for office staff.
Ensure effective and efficient administrative and support functions (30%):
• Ensure sufficient supplies of Programme and Office resources including fuel, stationary etc.
• Maintain effective office records (HR, IT, Vehicles, Insurance, legal agreements and correspondence).
• Maintain files (paper and electronic) archiving old documentation as needed.
• Ensure office handbooks, processes, policies and procedures are updated and disseminated to all staff as needed and source documents are stored in all user files
• Maintain records of key dates i.e. official holidays, expiry of agreements, contracts etc. and inform relevant colleagues.
• Ensure provision of relevant insurance cover (office, vehicle, and personal accident), obtaining quotes and renewing cover annually.
• Maintain the office and accommodation/houses inventory.
• Oversee the work of other support staff including Office Assistant, driver, guards, cleaners etc to ensure smooth running of support functions
• Ensure IT systems are functioning efficiently
Partner finance support and Donor compliance and development (in liaison with PDFO Protected content
• Support programme staff in conducting financial assessments of CAFODs partners’ programmes, reviewing budgets and reports, reviewing audits; responsible for identifying any financial problems or fraud.
• With partner staff produce and develop budgets and monitor the use of funds to ensure they are properly accounted for.
• Meeting with partner staff to review budgets and expenditure.
• Train partner staff in the policies and procedures for financial accountability and ensure ongoing compliance with these procedures.
• Develop comprehensive tools to ensure financial compliance to donor standards
Ensuring all legal processes, HR Administration are followed and line management (10%):
• In liaison with CR, maintain contact records for all staff including contact details and emergency contact / next of kin information. Sending on any change in staffing detail to HR in London
• Maintain contact records for all staff including contact details and emergency contact / next of kin information. Sending on any change in staffing detail to HR in London
• Ensure appropriate insurance cover is in place for staff travel, health, office building and contents and vehicle insurance.
• Line management of Office Assistant to ensure all residential house and office equipment, including air conditioning, generators, computers, printers, fire alarms and photocopiers are regularly serviced and properly maintained.
• Line management of the Office Assistant to ensure vehicles are adequately equipped, serviced and maintained
• Line management of Office Assistant to ensure the offices and residential house is adequately maintained and building repairs undertaken ensure the provision of basic services to be carried out promptly and efficiently.
You may be required to carry out other reasonable duties and responsibilities from time to time in agreement with your line manager
CAFOD recognises the personal dignity and rights of children, towards whom it has a special responsibility and a duty of care and respect. CAFOD, and all its staff and volunteers, undertake to do all in our power to create a safe environment for children and young people and to prevent their physical, sexual or emotional abuse. CAFOD is committed to acting at all times in the best interests of children, seeing these interests as paramount.
1- Limited Relevance 2- Important 3- Very Important 4- Highest Priorities
Behaviours at the heart of our organisation’s success a- Understands and actively supports CAFOD’s Vision, Mission and Values X
b- Looks outward; Takes account of other people’s priorities X
c- Shows an understanding of the Catholic Church and is able to work effectively with it X
d- Supports a culture of mutual respect, trust & transparency, where partnerships flourish X
e- Willing and able to contribute to the long development of CAFOD X
Behaviours which are important in all organisations Self
Management f- Manages time and resources efficiently X
g- Manages own personal growth and development continually X
h- Manages emotions and stresses positively X
Thinking and Understanding
i- Analyses and diagnoses issues/challenges with depth and insight X
j- Displays sound judgement and decision making X
k- Provides creativity and innovation; take risks within context of overall strategy X
l- Helps others to achieve goals X
m- Resolves conflict successfully X
n- Builds rapport and communicates effectively X
Achieving o- Shows drive and initiative X
p- Willingly takes ownership; is openly accountable X
q- Adapts easily to change X
Team Management Competencies
Behaviours important to those managing a team r- Delegation: Hands over tasks to others efficiently and effectively X
s- Team Development: Constantly builds the capacity and potential of the team X
t- Leadership: Inspires the team to perform to the best of their ability X
u- Stewardship: Manages resources prudently X
Specific behaviours important to the job Educated to at least degree level or equivalent, in Finance or Administration X
Has completed and passes a professional Accountancy qualification (or evidence of working towards qualification) with practical work experience in a finance or accountancy based role. Being able to create budgets, monitor and review expenditure and able to deliver a professional administrative support services to diverse teams. X
Good numeracy and IT skills, to be able to have a full understanding of CAFODs finance systems and grant making X
Able to support local HR functions providing advice and support based on CAFOD policies and local labour law. X
Wide experience working in Financial and Administrative position with supervisory role X
Complete understanding and practical application of good financial standards preferably, but not essential, in Project Cycle Management X
Able to deliver on the highest standards of financial accountability X
Management skills, including being able to manage, coach and mentor staff in sound financial management skills and task manage others in the office. X
Able to capacity build staff specifically with skills to train and mentor staff in good financial standards systems and processes as well as donor compliance and accountability. X
An understanding of donors and ability to ensure compliance to donor requirements.
Fluency in written and spoken English Language. X
A commitment to CAFOD’s Vision, Mission and Values is essential for all staff.
Terms and Conditions
Contract A 3 years contract, including a 3 month probationary period.
Salary Grade 6a: N3,468,319 per annum with 9 annual increments up to N4,386,403.
Notice period 3 months
Holidays 20 days
Pensions A 10% on gross monthly salary by employer and at least 5% contribution by employee
Other benefits Medical – with External Medical Administrator
Location Abuja with occasional trips to partners outside Abuja
CAFOD is an equal opportunities employer. Recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to child protection.
CAFOD is the official Catholic aid agency for England and Wales. In more than 40 countries across the world, we bring hope, compassion and solidarity to poor communities, standing side by side with them to end poverty and injustice.
Our vision is a world transformed to reflect the Kingdom of God: a world where –
• the rights and dignity of every person are respected
• all have access to basic needs in life
• women and men share equally in shaping their societies and our world
• the gifts of creation are nurtured and shared by all for the common good and
• the structures that shape people’s lives are just and enable peace.
This post works with the International Division, whose purpose is, in collaboration with our partners, to have a lasting impact on poverty and injustice through development programmes, advocacy, and humanitarian response. The International programme will promote learning, strengthen and empower communities and people in need regardless of their race, gender, religion or politics, and build links between CAFOD supporters and partners overseas.
Our vision is People in Nigeria accessing the basic needs of life, living in a just, transparent and peaceful society. The purpose of the Country programme is to increase the number of empowered poor and disadvantaged people participating fully in their development and accessing their rights.
West Africa and Great Lakes
CAFOD Nigeria team consists of a Country Representative, two Programme Officers, Finance and Administrative Officer, a Programme Administrator and office Assistant who ensures the day to day running of the programme as well working with partners to implementation country strategic plan.