Truffles and Barolo @ Alba
Dear Dinner Nations members,
It's time to go and have some fun in one of the most fantastic places in Italy -- the Langhe area and more precisely Alba.
That's an area not very far from Milan and it's considered the Gastronomic and Wine Capital of Italy. The Land of the precious white truffles and precious (and delicious) wines like Barolo and Barbaresco.
The World Truffle Fair of Alba opens as well in October and for that occasion every weekend of the month there will be interesting folkloristic shows and events going on in the historical centre of the city. The atmosphere in Alba on those weekends is simply fantastic! It feels like being catapulted in the Renaissance epoque: everybody is dressed in costumes of that period and many traditional for that time activities are reproduced for the pubblic.
I chose the second weekend of October as that's also the weekend with some of the most spectacular folkloristic events. You can check them yourselves here: Protected content
But as only show by itself is not enough, I thought to add some "taste buds teasing" and "educational adventure" activities as well. For example:
1) on Saturday morning I made an appointment with one of the best Barolo producers of the area -- located at La Morra -- to show us their vineyards, their winery and have a wine tasting session as well.
2) In the afternoon we can watch the historical Pantalera competition in Alba.
3) While on Sunday morning I made an appointment for a Ttuffle Hunting session in the countryside where a licensed expert "Trifulau" will take us out for an interesting activity with truffle dogs, trained to find the precious tubers.
4) Following is a rich home-made lunch based on truffles, cooked by the Trifulau's wife, served at their home.
5) Later on Sunday afternoon there will be the Flag Festival in the central square of Alba, that's also worth seeing.
6) And in the meanwhile, as the truffle fair will be on, we can go in for some aditional activities and tastings between one activity and the other.
This is a rich programme and for that reason we need an entire weekend, not just a day.
I'm leaving Milan to go there still on Friday 12th. Those of you who can and want to join me on Friday, are very welcome to do so. Those who work that Friday and are free only in the weekend, can join us on Saturday morning directly at the winery. You can find the address in the Activity Details under MEETING POINT.
FUN is ASSURED!!! :-)
The wine tasting activity at the winery on Saturday is free of charge as they count on the sales of their excellent product.
You can find info about the costs at the fair at the following link: Protected content
I just received additional cost info and I'm sharing it with you.
The truffle hunting activity with dogs on Sunday morning will cost 25€ per person, while the following 6 courses home cooked truffle based lunch + water, Barbera wine and coffee will cost 48€ per person. I could not add this last one to the cost details on top, as it gives maximum three entries.
Regarding where to sleep, as it is complicated to find a place where we can all stay together, but Alba is not a big city (so we can be close to each other anyway), I can suggest that you just check Airbnb and I'm sure that if you don't leave it for the last moment, you'll manage to find something nice and comfortable. I'll be looking on Airbnb as well for myself.
Regarding transportation, I kindly ask those of you who have cars to share the ride with other members without cars and to post a comment with number of available seats.
All the best and see you soon! :-)
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.