Henley on Thames Circular via Great Wood - Leisurely (10 miles)
This is a very pretty walk, out along the Thames, and back via the hills above. Its mainly flat morning follows the Thames path to the quaint and well preserved hamlet of Hambleden with its brick and flint red roofed buildings. The return is via the wooded geological terrace above river. Historic riverside Henley, with many tea rooms and pubs, is a nice place to finish
The walk starts in Henley and goes along the Thames towpath, past Temple Island with its neo-folly, to the Protected content footbridge over the weir at Hambleden Mill, where canoeists practise in the stormy waters.
After lunch, the walk for the next 2.5km is through the Great Wood, the endlessness of which gives an inkling of how most of Britain must once have been. From the village of Fawley with its church and mausoleum, the walk returns along the Oxfordshire Way back to the station.
Take the 8:37 train from Paddington. You will need to change in Twyford.
Trains back to London run every hour.
2. Please organise amongst yourselves if you would like a group saver. You can post messages on the activity page.
3. Please note that hiking as an outdoor activity carries a risk of injury. When you RSVP, you confirm that you are in good health and accept this risk.
4. Please wear walking boots or shoes. Preferably water proof. The paths can be muddy and slippery. This depends on the weather we have before the hike. Also bring rain proof jacket in case it rains.
5. Bring a packed lunch and plenty of water. We should visit a pub for lunch but we will definitely go to a pub after the hike so bring some money with you.
6. Please note that on hikes, toilets are not always available, so when we need to, we might have to go in the bushes.
7. Please, please, please cancel your attendance if you change your mind, so there is room for others who wish to join.
8. Feel free to phone or text me if you have any questions.
9. WEATHER: Please note that it might be necessary to cancel the hike if the weather is really bad. The hike should go ahead is there is little rain.
10. I WILL BE MEETING YOU Protected content
Please be kind enough to cancel your attendance if you cannot make it and note that repeated non attendance might be reported to Internations management and might result in your removal from any future guest list.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Group Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.