Seven Sisters Coastal walk (14 miles )
The Seven Sisters are a series of white chalk cliffs and are set within the Seven Sisters Country Park. They are remnants of dry valleys in the South Downs and were formed at the end of the last ice age by glacial melt water. There are in fact now eight sisters as an extra one has been created by coastal erosion. This classic walk is one of the finest coastal walks in England with some iconic views. We will also get some great fresh air high up on the cliffs.
We start the walk from the coastal town of Seaford, then to Birling Gap and then go past Belle Tout a former lighthouse. We will stop for lunch somewhere convenient. After lunch, the rest of the walk takes us through the Seven Sisters Country Park. We will visit the beauty spot of Beachy head and finish in the town of Eastbourne.
Cliffs - danger
There are sheer drops off the cliffs and some of these soft chalk cliffs are crumbling at the edges with chunks regularly falling and no fencing in place. Please keep at least 3 metres away from the edges. If you fall, or the ground at the edge of the cliff collapses it will almost certainly be fatal.
The hike should take around 5 hours. Please allow extra time for rest stops and lunch. This is a challenging hike with some hills. To do this, you need to be reasonable fit and can keep up a good pace. Please do not RSVP if you are unfit.
The hike will start at 10:30 and finish at approx 17:30
Depart: Protected content
There are toilets at Lewes and Seaford stations.
Return: Trains from Eastbourne back to London depart are frequent.
Train fare: The cheapest fare option is to buy an off-peak return from London Victoria to Eastbourne and a single from Lewes to Seaford. You can travel in groups to get a discount.
2. Please note that hiking as an outdoor activity carries a risk of injury. When you RSVP, you confirm that you are in good health and accept this risk.
3. What to bring:
Appropriate walking clothes and footwear (ideally hiking boots) Waterproof jacket
A packed lunch, snacks and plenty of water, ideally 2 litres.
Personal first aid kit and medication
4. Please note that on hikes, toilets are not always available, so when we need to, we might have to go in the bushes.
5. Feel free to invite your friends, just make sure they sign up on InterNations first.
6. This walk may be cancelled due to bad weather but I will keep everyone informed.
7. Please, please, please cancel your attendance if you change your mind, so there is room for others who wish to join.
8. Feel free to phone or text me if you have any questions.
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.