Join now

Best German Bank for Non-EU Residents? (Berlin)

Views

Can anyone recommend a German bank for non EU residents, English-speaking friendly?

I decided to go with DKB since I've read about this bank a few times in the 'new to Berlin' type of posts and was seen as a good bank for expats/foreigners. Even though I went with the process to do the online identity verification, I wasn't able to open my account in Ireland where I was residing. Also their customer service representative recommended that I send my replies in German if I want a quicker response. As a potential customer, I want to get my response in a timely manner and since this is banking, I don't want to get my details wrong. So yes, DKB has lost a potential customer. Their rules and their loss.

I decided to try to open an account with N Protected content offer online registrations on their website and the main communications are in English (you can also choose German). The sign up was a lot easier. For identity verification, I need to go to the post office with my Meldebescheinigung (which, from what I've read is from when you get your Anmeldung - however my appointment is in 2 weeks). They offer in-app identification verification but they don't accept Australian passports. Apparently they are new so it would be great if anyone else is an N26 customer?

If anyone else has recommendations/stories, let me know!

Berlin Forum

Our Global Partners