Join now

Concerns about moving to Germany from the U.S. (Hamburg)

Hi there,

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Germany from the U.S. in a couple years. We've done many of the prospective budget analyses, considered many different factors such as PTO, healthcare, etc., but one thing that continues to mystify us is the demeanor/temperament of Germans in general.

For example - we've heard that Germans complain a lot, and can be a little negatively-minded. By contrast, Americans tend to be more "positively-minded" and optimistic (though perhaps unrealistic).

Has anyone experienced this contrast between the attitudes of the U.S. and Germany? Granted, I know there is a lot of conjecture and generalization here - we fully understand the trouble we might be getting into making any assumption - but that's why I'm starting this thread!

We also know that part of life is finding your people, wherever that might be, but before we move to Germany, we'd like to get a sense of how easy it would be to acclimate to the outlook Germans have on life and living.

By starting this thread I'm hoping to draw upon the wisdom of the detailed stories and specific experiences of those who have been through this. We are not looking for life lessons, but we are looking for information about Germany and its people. Location doesn't matter - from Bremen to Berlin or Hamburg to Munich, we could move anywhere, so it'd be nice to have a sampling of how people think in the various regions of Germany.

Thank you all for your time, and I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

In exchange, if there is anyone who would like specific information about Washington, DC, my wife and I have lived here for over a decade and are willing to tell you everything you'd like to know about moving or living here (my wife is a green card holder, etc.), or just general information about America. Thanks!

Hamburg Forum

Our Global Partners