Join now

STUFF TO DO THIS WEEKEND (Leipzig)

We have a nice long four-day weekend ahead of us. Here are a couple of activities to try out (some Leipzig-esque, others not so much).

English movies:

Friday night at CineDing in the Karl-Heine-Strasse Protected content the movie Silver Linings is playing at 8 p.m. (it appears to be of the genre American Black Comedy but I haven't seen it so don't blame me if you don't like it!). (Black Comedy means very dark lunatic humor, not necessarily that the actors are black! The TV shows Weeds or Six Feet Under are good examples of this and yes I'm an academic and I have to give examples, sue me.)

Saturday night at the NaTo (Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse): The Island playing at 9:30 (drama, sad stuff about orphans)

For culture vultures:

At the Reformationskirche (right at Goerdelerring) you can go and hear the Mattaeuspassion Good Friday at 7 p.m.

On both Friday and Saturday, there are tours of the Spinnerei, a big re-done industrial site which used to be for making cotton and is now used by artists and designers of every imaginable stripe. On Friday the tours start at 12 and Saturday at 11, leaving from the information point near the entrance every hour on the hour. This is something you can easily do with kids and which will give you some idea of the very active indie scene here in Leipzig.

I'd be really pleased if this thread becomes a long-term pool of ideas for things to do- sometimes in a foreign country it is hard to track down this kind of information and when you have culture shock you need a little extra shove to get out and get in contact with your new environment.

Leipzig Forum

Our Global Partners