Join now

i need advice on a move from the uk to france (Lyon)

Hey there,

I am planning on trying out life in Lyon from the back end of January, I have friends that live in Lyon and I've been having holidays at theirs for the past 8 years, I love the city, the way of life and everything that comes with it and (although its embarrassing to admit) I still can't speak the language so am hoping that full immersion will help me with that!

My main question is what is it that I need to do to make this happen, or is it a case of just going and living and working in Lyon? There's a lot of information for expats coming from outside of the EU but not much for those of us in the EU ... what are the legalities of my move or is there a website somewhere that I haven't come across yet that can give me all the answers ...

My English friend married her French husband and so obviously moving to France for her wasn't quite same as little old single me trying to move and set myself up, although I will be living with them for several months to begin so I'm without the added stress of having to sort out accommodation.

I have just finished an MA, ended a rental contract, oh and also just had my car scrapped, so other than myself a suitcase of clothes and potentially a couple of big boxes of stuff (computer, throw pillows etc) I don't have any need for a removals company,

I have a few little English teaching gigs set up so can start making a bit of money and hopefully gradually build on that but that's a question about banking as well .... what do I need to organise there?

Any information anyone could give me would be so helpful, I'm sure there are elements of the move that I haven't even considered!

Thanks in advance,
Charlotte

Lyon Forum

Our Global Partners