I am thinking of starting a free Laughter Club for InterNations members and other interested folks.
I'm a Certified Laughter Yoga Teacher, having started the Venice Beach Laughter Club in L.A.. If you are unfamiliar with Laughter Yoga ("LY"), read this: bit.ly/1AuvWhG, and check it out on Oprah: bit.ly/1DUTpcD.
In short, LY is a combination of simulated laughter exercises and yogic breathing techniques (no calisthenics) that oxygenates the body and brain, makes us feel more healthy and energetic, bolsters our immune systems, and helps with conditions like anxiety, depression, stress, and high blood pressure, among others.
Studies have shown that 10 minutes of vigorous laughter burns 3 x more calories than 10 minutes on an exercise bike. LY creates more endorphins than almost any aerobic sport. My two teachers, the creators of LY, have not been sick in over 15 years. As Reggie the Skeptic found out on Oprah, it is, in a way, Kindergarten for Adults. Finally, you need not speak English; LY is a universal language.
1) WHO: I'd like to find out who might be interested in attending a Miami Beach or downtown/Brickell Miami Laughter Club.
2) WHERE: I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to hold the class. The beach or a park would be optimal - if no permit is needed. It would also be helpful to have an alternate indoor location, in case it rains. If anyone can volunteer a space at their work, church, foundation, etc., please let me know.
3) WHEN: When would folks like the class(es) held? After work? Saturday or Sunday mornings?
Please give me whatever feedback you can. Feel free to PM me if you don't feel comfortable asking something on the site.
P.S. Here are five LY benefits for your health and wellness:
1. Good Mood and More Laughter: Whether it's your personal life, business life, or social life, everything you do depends upon your mood. If your mood is good, everything improves. Laughter Yoga helps to change the mood within minutes by releasing certain chemicals from your brain cells called endorphins. You will remain cheerful and in a good mood throughout the day and will laugh more than you normally do.
2. Healthy Exercise to Beat Stress: Laughter Yoga has the same effects as an aerobic exercise (cardio workout), bringing more oxygen to the body and brain, which makes one feel more healthy and energetic. Laughter Yoga is a single routine which simultaneously reduces physical, mental, and emotional stress.
3. Health Benefits: It's hard to enjoy life if you are sick. Laughter Yoga strengthens the immune system, which not only prevents you from becoming sick; it also helps with a variety of illnesses like hypertension, heart disease, diabetes, depression, arthritis, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, backache, fibromyalgia, migraine headaches, menstrual disorders, cancer, and many others.
4. Quality of Life: Quality of life depends upon quality of good friends with whom we have a caring and sharing relationships. Laughter is positive energy which helps you to connect with people quickly and improves relationships. More laughter = more friends = happier life.
5. Positive Attitude in Challenging Times : Everyone can laugh when times are good, but how does one laugh when faced with adversity? Laughter helps to create a positive mental state to deal with negative situations and negative people. It gives hope and optimism to cope with difficult times.