Job Description (
Job Title: Business Operations Program Manager
Reports to: Business Operations Director
Level: Mid-level position with significant growth and upward mobility potential
Compensation: Competitive salary based on experience
Location: Kilifi head office with <10% field work and travel
Komaza is looking for a full-time Business Operations Program Manager based out of its Kilifi, Kenya office to build an extremely high-work volume, high-quality, high-functioning business operations department for a fast-growing sustainable forestry company. This is a dynamic and diverse position with significant opportunity for growth, including building a business operations department from scratch including its management systems and team.
Komaza’s Business Operations department will serve an internal consulting function for short-term and/or high-technical work and projects. This department will do everything from writing technical handbooks and redesigning department’s organizational structures and strategy. BizOps will work across the entire organization to coordinate cross-functional efforts, as well as dig in deep to a specific department’s operations, to serve the strategic and operational needs of the fast-growing company.
The Business Operations Program Manager must always be answering the question, “How can I build scalable systems to deliver the work required today for $100, one-week long projects and in two years for $50,000+, one-year long projects?” It is the BizOps Program Manager’s job to think through building the department’s systems and team, with unlimited potential to grow into management and leadership roles with the department.
As the Business Operations Program Manager, a typical day might include:
- Building a financial model from scratch
- Visiting the field to follow a technical expert and document his/her every move then writing an SOP about it
- Talking to a Kenyan university to understand how to provide summer internship / attachment opportunities to their top students
- Planning the logistics operations for harvesting trees from decentralized farms
- Creating a template for documenting project scope, timeline, budget and deliverables… then being asked to make it half as long and twice as easy to use
- Surfing the internet to see what resources already exist for giving a one-hour crash course on using MS Project then designing a training for a group of people with basic to advanced computer literacy… then delivering the training
This job might be for you, if:
- You love building puzzles
- You love understanding an operational challenge and coming up with a sustainable solution
- You get bored doing the same thing day after day
- You love analyzing data in Excel and providing meaningful answers from the information
- You get frustrated by spelling and grammatical errors, and love producing high-quality polished work no matter the audience or context of the work
How to get this job:
In order to land this awesome opportunity you will need to love helping and growing people. A Bachelor’s degree in any related field and about 3 years work experience will definitely be helpful. If you want to move to sunny Kilifi on the Kenyan coast, do something meaningful which will have huge impact on the local communities, are not afraid of a complex and tough job, and want to grow professionally and personally then please apply for this role. Please send your maximum 3 page-CV and a cover letter detailing why you are the right fit as well as why you want to work for Komaza to Protected content with “REF: BUSINESS OPERATIONS PROGRAM MANAGER APPLICATION” in the subject matter line. Please do not send your academic documents and any other documents not asked for in this job ad.