Join now

Considerations before moving (Muscat)

Views

G'day IN forum,
I have been offered a contract in Oman and am after some information before I make the big move with my family. I stumbled across this forum and wow, heaps of info here :) I have some questions that I am sure someone here will be able to help me out with, so here goes:
1: I have read that the British School or the Royal Flight School are possibly the pick of schools. My daughter is 11 in August so will be going into year 6 for the 12/13 school year. Are there any other schools that rate a mention and I should be considering? In regards to the Royal Flight School, where do people send their children for high school?
2: How do families go in regards to getting a license, I read somewhere (cant remenber where) that you need a residency visa. Is this the case?
3: What about health insurance and medical services? Do local companies cover expats or should we look at getting cover before we leave Australia?
4: Can you enter the country on a tourist visa and then apply for a residency visa? Or do you need to apply before arriving?
5: In regards to housing, are there many places that can be rented fully furnished? Is it fairly reasonably priced to buy furniture if we can't find a place furnished? We are looking for a 3 bedroom place to house the family. Can anyone recommend a good website for rentals? Are are there any areas that we should stay clear of when looking for acomodation?
6: Can anybody share their words of wisdom in regards to moving a family half way around the world? It is quite daunting, yet exciting.

I think that's it for now, no doubt I'll have more questions along the way.

Thanks,

Nigel.

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Muscat Forum