Join now

Welcome to New Orleans

Since I am both an InterNations Ambassador and a Realtor I'd like to offer some general advice on how to find the type of property that you are looking for. There is a wide variety of cost and quality in the New Orleans market with a high price premium for historic areas of the city.

Type of housing and good sources:

Short term rental - Craigslist, possibly Airbnb (depends on season), Tulane housing, and Realtor Multiple Listing Service.

Long term rental - Craigslist, Tulane Housing, and Realtor Multiple Listing Service.

Note - You generally never want to rent a place that you have not personally seen or have had a person you trust look at it for you. While Craigslist seems risky, it is easy to lower that risk by cross checking people such as landlords and roommates on LinkedIn and Facebook. A person with hundreds of connections on both is probably going to be OK.

Purchasing a home, apartment/condo - You are likely best off using a realtor who is assisted by the Multiple Listing Service, to help you select the area of town and help you locate and negotiate a property. There are several Realtors active in the New Orleans InterNations Group.

If you have questions about areas of town, negotiations or costs to buy or rent a property, you can contact me or one of the other InterNations Realtors and we will be glad to help.

Best,
Pat

New Orleans Forum