Senior accountant needed UN-Habitat (Rio de Janeiro)
Please don't email me directly please send applications to Protected content other contact details below.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: UN-HABITAT/ROLAC
DUTY STATION: RIO DE JANEIRO
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: Senior Accountant
DURATION: 1 year (renewable)
TYPE OF CONTRACT: Consultant contract
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-HABITAT, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. ROLAC is the Regional Office for Latin America and the Caribbean.
Under the supervision of the Programme Management Officer (PMO) the incumbent will perform the following duties for the country offices in LAC Region:
1. Advice the finance functions of UNHABITAT-ROLAC.
2. Advise other units within UNHABITAT on financial management and promote awareness of financial management.
3. Advice in the implementation of efficient and effective practices and new processes as required in accordance with UN policies and procedures (ensuring IPSAS compliance).
4. Maintain process and coordinate all project relevant information in the Integrated Management System (IMIS and UMOJA) and PAAS. Providing specific accounting services to support project execution.
5. Advice/review and follow up payment requests using Citrix System for field offices to cash payments in the Region on UN-HABITAT/ROLAC’s behalf according to the DoA received as certifying officer, ensure transmission and keep records for reporting purposes.
6. Liaise with other UN-HABITAT/UNON divisions regarding systems maintenance and development.
7. Investigate and follow up accounting errors provide instruction and ensure corrective action where necessary.
8. Advice/review and prepare budget revisions in liaison with the responsible officer, according to the DoA received as certifying officer , verify availability of funds, and ensure necessary approval and entry in IMIS.
9. Prepare Financial Reports to donors.
10. Prepare all payments related to the Agreements of Cooperation.
Project Management, Monitoring and Reporting
1. Review, and maintain a system of project finance reporting. Ensure management reports are regularly provided as well to all necessary UN Officers as well as donors (when requested). Highlighting areas of budget savings and potential economies as well as advising project managers on historical expenditure patterns to enable efficient project execution.
2. Liaise, monitor and follow up with the support services of UNON and other relevant departments in regard to administrative and financial aspect of project activities.
3. Maintain accurate records of financial status of recruitments, sub-contracts, travel and payments
1. Analyze administrative services needs to support specific business operations including travel.
2. Advice on administration procedures to ensure that effective (UN compliant practices are in place), update systems as required, collaborating with other staff members, ensure systems are used and ensure monitoring controls are in place.
3. Draft correspondence as appropriate to ensure smooth implementation of projects
4. Review requests for office stock requisitions and ensure sufficient stocks are in place
5. Maintain a good systematic filing system.
Professionalism: Good Knowledge of accountancy, internal control, processes and procedures generally and in particular those related to programme/project administration and accountancy. Ability to analyse systems processes and suggest change, develop new policy and implement changes. Ability to work well with figures, analyse patterns and provide analytical analysis. Demonstrated ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
A degree in Accountancy is essential, post graduate certification as a Chartered Accountant or CPA is desirable. Good computer skills and knowledge of ERP/SAP or ATLAS system. Knowledge of IMIS is an asset.
5 years of progressive experience in accounting, audit, programme or project operations/administration. Previous experience in an International Audit firm, UN or other International Organizations is highly desirable.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Spanish is working language in ROLAC. For the post advertised, excellent command in oral and written English is essential. Portuguese is an asset. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
All applications should be submitted to:
Email: Protected content
Deadline for applications: January 20, Protected content
Reference: Chief of Accounting
CV, P11 and Motivation Letter.