Join now

Looking for people from New York City (Toronto)

Hello everyone,

I am a Ph.D. student in Linguistics at the University of Toronto. Together with Dr. Jennifer Nycz from Georgetown University, I am currently working on a study about how and why people change their dialect when they move.

Are you a native of New York City who has lived in the Toronto area for at least ten years? If so, we're interested in what you have to say about language, communication, and the places you've lived:

-How do people talk to one another back in your home city, and how do they do so here?
-What differences have you noticed?
-Do you think your own communication patterns have changed as a result of moving around? Do you find yourself speaking differently to different kinds of people?

If you decide to participate in this study, we'll sit down for about an hour and a half with you and one of your local friends to have a conversation about the topics listed above. I'll also ask you to read a list of words and comment on some of those words. All of this will be audio recorded for later analysis (if you'd like a copy of the recording, I'm happy to give you one). The interview can take place anywhere convenient to you where you feel comfortable, as long as the setting is reasonably quiet. As a thank-you for participating, you'll receive a $20 Amazon gift card after we've finished.

For more information, check out the study website: Protected content . If you'd like to speak with us, you can either contact us through the website or contact me directly by email: Protected content

Toronto Forum

Our Global Partners