Join now

Converting a Drivers License in Italy (Turin)

Hello all,
This is my first contact with this community and I look forward to being an active member and render any advice which may help others if when needed.
I am from Australia and have only been in Turin for the last 6 weeks, the plan is to make Italy home.
I have encountered a stumbling block that others may have encountered and would like to ask for any experience advice on obtaining a driver’s license here in Italy. In Australia an Italian can simply go to the roads corporation supply proof of a full driver’s license, perform an eye test and get an Australian driver’s license with the same endorsements (motor bike, truck etc). I therefor assumed that there was some sort of agreement between the two countries, I thought wrong.
I have been told that I may drive with my current license then I will need to sit for a driver’s license from the beginning, which is only delivered in Italian. This will cost me over Protected content and I will lose all of my endorsements and sit for each one again.
I asked them to explain why I would need to sit for a test after driving here for a year as this defeats the purpose of sitting for a test in the first place. I was told that this is the way it is and welcome to Italy.
I would like to hear from others who have faced this issue and any advice you may wish to share.
Mike

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Turin Forum