Let's go on a bar crawl in Araki-cho on "Michilan Friday" !
Have you been to or heard of Araki-cho ?
It's a small quarter near Yotsuya-3chome with narrow alleys lined with bars, pubs, bistros or restaurants.
This area is known for its archaic atmosphere with history.
In the early Meiji-era it was a green field with water frequented by people, dubbed as "Hakone in Edo", because of its beautiful landscape with cascade.
The famous Hanami spot then developed into a Hanamachi (entertainment quarter) later on.
And today it becomes a little "Ponto-cho" in Tokyo, conserving the ambiance of Showa 30's.
("Ponto-cho" is a famous narrow street lined with traditional bars with atmosphere in Kyoto.)
If you'd like to open a door and step in a bar or restaurant which you haven't visited before in this quarter, now is the time.
The Association of Araki-cho Shotengai organizes a yearly event of 2 nights, which gives you an easier access to their bars, pubs, bistros or restaurants with reasonable price.
The event is titled "Michilan", with a play on words, whose phonetic sounds as "I haven't been to（見知らん）" in Japanese.
The participating shops vary (from "izakaya","sushiya"to "Bossanova bar", "sunakku" for those who are looking for a deep world), but considering the purpose of this group, I chose 2 french bistros for us to visit together, where they provide a fixed menu with wine.
I'd like to finish the tour after visiting 2 places as a group event, but feel free to continue crawling devided into smaller groups or on your own, choosing which places among the 33 to visit according to your taste and intuition.
I paste the translation of official information below.
(See bottom for Japanese text.)
The event itself is an open one, so anybody can go and enjoy individually, even if you don't register for this group event.
Eating-Walking Drinking-Walking Event "Michilan Protected content
(Organized by the Association of Araki-machi Shotengai)
[Date and time]
November 9th (Thu) and 10th (Fri) 18: Protected content 00
(1) At each bar, pub, bistro or restaurants participating in the event Protected content all), you will be able to taste the excellent items boasted by each shop.
(2) The prices of the items are specially fixed simple and reasonable for the event, as Protected content , Protected content or Protected content .
[What to do]
(1) Find a shop you want to go as the starting place of your crawling.
(The sign of the event is posted at the entrance of the shop participating in the event.)
(2) After entering the shop, order ONE menu per person.
(3) Enjoy their speciality and when finish pay by CASH.
(4) Move to the next place and enjoy in the same manner.
(5) Continue untill you wish to finish.
(1) The opening hours are different from a shop to another.
Please check in the leaflet for details.
(2) When arrived, please tell that you came for "Michilan" event.
(3) When the place gets crowded, please think about the other customers.
(meaning, I guess, "Leave as soon as you are done".)