Join now

Are you ready to stay long term in Thailand? (Bangkok)

I created this forum to share my idea for expats who scared of cost of living to traveling and spent long life in Thailand.

Thailand is a wondrous kingdom, featuring Buddhist temples, exotic wildlife, and spectacular islands. Along with a fascinating history and a unique culture that includes delectable Thai food and massage, Thailand features a modern capital city, and friendly people who epitomize Thailand’s “land of smiles” reputation.

Thailand offers every type of lifestyle for expats to choose from beach or mountain living to cosmopolitan cities.

The 2 main things you need to consider when you move to Thailand are cost of living and Housing. You can have a good quality of life in Thailand.

The advantage is that the cost of living is far lower than in countries such as the United States, Germany, Australia or the United Kingdom. However, you still have to spend money and establish a budget, limit expenses and handle daily financial chores. There’s a need to understand the financial system and also the new currency if you just moved to Thailand.

In Protected content , the average cost of living in Thailand about 43% lower than in the United States for all cities (not including rent) while rent in Thailand is about 62% lower than in the United States. There are many provinces aside from Bangkok that are popular places to retire. To further explain the details for each province, we will cite Bangkok, Phuket, Hua Hin, Pattaya and Chiang Mai as some of those areas popular with expats.

Phuket cost of Living
The island paradise comes at a cost that might be too much for some expats relying only on your retirement funds. However, if you don’t mind not being that close to the beach area, then cost of living in Phuket is affordable. For example, you would need around ฿35,000 in Phuket to maintain the same standard of life that you can have with ฿50,000 in Bangkok (assuming you rent in both cities).

Pattaya Cost of Living
This resort city on the east coast of the gulf of Thailand has quiet beaches, a growing number of cultural and action-packed attractions and international restaurants. It is also only about an hour away from Bangkok, so the convenience of going to the capital city is also an advantage.

The cost of living in Pattaya is about 12% lower than in Bangkok. This means that you’d need about ฿44,000 to live in a lifestyle similar to what ฿50,000 you would spend in Bangkok.

Chiang Mai Cost of Living
Living in Thailand means you get to have the best of this tropical country. It might be known for its beautiful beaches, but the northern part offers amazing weather, natural sceneries and cheaper cost of living. Chiang Mai is one of the most popular cities in the north of Thailand for expats to retire and live. The cost of living in Chiang Mai is about 6% lower than in Pattaya. That means that you would need about ฿40,000 compared to ฿50,000 in Bangkok to enjoy similar lifestyle

Hua Hin Cost of living
One of the big favors of living in Hua Hin is the low cost of living. Hua -hin can be a potential Second home. the Seafood is abundant in Hua Hin and there are plenty of waterfront restaurants at which to dine. Shrimp, crabs, squid, fresh whole fish, steamed mussels and clams were on most menus. the cost of living is about the same as in Chiang Mai,

If you are seeking for Real Estate and property in Thailand for rent, buy or investment. Here have many property who professional and give you good advise. I can also advise you some Professional Real Estate agency that can provide one-stop service for you.

I’ll be adding items to this list and updating it periodically, but if you want to know the price of a particular province in the meantime, please let me know and I’ll do my best to research it for you.

Bangkok Forum

Our Global Partners