Join now

Thinking of relocating to Thailand (Bangkok)

Hello all, I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I am currently living and working in South Africa but my company has decided to close the local office meaning I will still have a job (I am paid out of our home office) but will have no where to work. I had been planning on relocating to Thailand or somewhere else in SE Asia 5 years from now but may decide to step up the plan.

My work keeps me traveling and more often than not I will not be in country (Thailand or where ever I decide to move) for more than Protected content at a time. I will keep my current job and be paid out of the US but just be working from and traveling from my new home in Bangkok (or wherever I end up). I will not be doing any actual work in country except remote support to our other international locations.

We do have 3 project sites in Bangkok at the moment so if a work permit is the best option I can use one of them to help me get this but I would rather not if I can do this without a work permit.

I would want to rent property and maybe eventually buy if I decide to stay longer than a few years and would like the option to own a car (though I may not exercise this option) and I would need the ability to enter and exit the country often through out the year with trips ranging from Protected content out of Thailand.

Any advice is appreciated,

Erik

Bangkok Forum

Our Global Partners