Join now

Multi-lingual attorney looking for a job (Brasilia)

I have been living in Taiwan for over 4 years, and have just completed the coursework for a Ph.D. in Asia-Pacific Studies. I am a licensed attorney who speaks Portuguese, English, Spanish, Japanese, and Chinese, and who has an intermediate proficiency in German and Italian. I hope to settle down in Brasilia and could really use some direction on how to find a job here.

I have included the text from a letter describing my qualifications. Thank you very much for your time.

I am confident that my skills would be an excellent match for a position at an Embassy or International Organization in Brasília.

I graduated from college in Protected content , at the age of 17, with a degree in Foreign Languages and a Minor in Business, immediately started working in professional positions as an interpreter and legal assistant, completed law school by the age of 21, and have been a licensed attorney in the State of California since the age of 22. Since that time I have worked independently as an immigration lawyer, dealing with clients from around the world. I have business level proficiency in five languages (English, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, and Chinese) and have intermediate skills in two others (German and Italian). In addition, I have begun studying French and Russian. I am interested in languages, and I would be able to improve my proficiency in the language which I will use most of the time during the course of my work.

Although I enjoyed working as an attorney in private practice, I would prefer an environment with more interaction with colleagues. As such, over the past few years, I have been re-evaluating my skill sets and my interests. As a result, in Protected content , I relocated to Taiwan as a recipient of the Taiwan Scholarship to improve my Mandarin and Japanese and gain a better understanding of the Asia-Pacific Region. I was awarded a second term of the scholarship. I have completed all coursework for my Master’s Degree in Applied Japanese with a GPA of 4.0 and a Doctorate in Asia-Pacific Studies with a GPA of 4.24/4.3 (placing first in my class last semester, although the official rank will be determined after the presentation of my thesis), with coursework focusing on International Relations and Economics.

I have thrived in Asia and gained C2 level proficiency in both Chinese and Japanese. Now I am ready to establish a permanent career with an embassy, one of my long-term goals. Having worked with Brazilian and other Latin American clients for over 10 years, having lived in Taiwan for over 4 years, and having extensive dealings with Japanese people, I am thoroughly accustomed to dealing with differences across nationality, culture, and behavior.

I believe my following core competencies would be especially useful for employment at an embassy:

• Cross-cultural communication skills
• Global client management skills
• Client relations skills
• Public speaking/Presentation skills
• Excellent computer skills
• Familiarity with International Relations

I am energetic, hard-working, and eager to learn and my accomplishments stand as a testimony to the above. I am also willing to travel as needed or learn or improve on another language needed.

Hence, I would be delighted if you could consider me for any career opportunities available. I am eager to make this shift in my career.

Thank you for your consideration, and I look forward to the opportunity to meet with you soon.