(Senior) Backend EngineerApply now
About the Role
Our engineering teams architect, develop, and test our products. As a Backend Developer, your mission is to build scalable and fast backend software for our platform which serves millions of views monthly. At InterNations you will contribute to connecting global minds and making expat life a great experience.
As a member of an international, cross-functional Product Experience Team (PXT), you will architect, implement, and test new functionality and maintain existing functionality using web technologies.
Our PXTs organize themselves using Agile methodologies and you will work closely with your Product Manager and your team on the feasibility of concepts and upcoming changes. You will write automated tests at the unit, integration, and acceptance levels to assure quality and longevity of our products and a sustainable pace for future changes.
As part of the greater engineering organization, you will lead and take part in cross-team initiatives: architectural changes, refactoring, and establishment of best practices.
What we are looking for:
- We are working with PHP, so a relevant experience in a language like PHP, Java, Scala, Kotlin, Python, or Ruby is needed
- Experience with a modern web framework like Symfony, Zend Framework, Laravel, Rails, Spring, or Django
- Experience with automated testing, whether it’s unit, functional and/or acceptance testing
- A strong interest for working with big datasets in relational databases, search indexes, or key-value stores
- Relevant interest or experience with distributed systems and scalability
What we value:
- Bettering our skills, teaching each other and learning ways to build better software
- User testing, experimentation, automated testing and continuous integration to gain meaningful feedback for what we do
- Fostering collaboration and cooperativeness
Technologies we use: PHP, Symfony, MariaDB, Solr, RabbitMQ, Redis, Memcached, Composer, Behat, PHPUnit
What we’re working on right now: Get in on the ground floor of our brand-new SPA and design system that is transforming our entire product and development experience!
Where we work: Although we’re based in Munich, Germany, our entire staff works across Europe. We are remote-first: all of our colleagues are free to work from home, the office, or elsewhere—or even a combination of those. We only ask that you join us from Europe.
Sound interesting? Then send us your CV today!
Want to get to know your future colleagues a bit better? In this interview on our corporate blog, one of our Team Lead Software Engineering talks about his experience as a backend engineer at InterNations and what our company culture is like.
At InterNations, we’re dedicated to making expat life a great experience! With more than 4.3 million members in 420 cities, InterNations is the biggest global community for expats. We offer regular local events, interest-based groups, and useful information to help our members feel at home abroad. What started as an idea over ten years ago is now changing the lives of expats and global minds around the world every day. With team members from around 50 countries, we believe in the benefits of cultural exchange and the power of bringing people together. Together we’re constantly growing, learning, and coming up with new ways for our members to meet other international people and enjoy life abroad.
Benefits of working at InterNations:
- a growing, dynamic company with an international team
- a friendly atmosphere and the space to pursue your ideas
- a centrally located office in Munich and an office near the beach in Porto
- support with your visa application
- 28 paid vacation days + special paid leave
- the option to take a sabbatical after 3 years with InterNations
- part-time work contracts possible
- Albatross Membership for team members and their partners
- XING Premium membership
- regular team events and trips. Last year we brought the whole company to Sicily in Italy
- a weekly team breakfast, plus coffee, fresh fruit, in-house yoga sessions, and gym discounts (depending on location)
- regular workshops, training sessions, cross-departmental projects & exchanges
- a relocation package to support your move to Remote or in Munich
- annual internal hackathon
- a culture fostering open-source contributions
At InterNations, you’ll be working in a friendly atmosphere geared to bring out your creativity and independence. With our flat organizational structure, you’ll have a lot of room to pursue your own ideas. If you’re a working parent, you’ll find the flexibility you need to support your work-life balance. Start your work week off on the right foot with a weekly team breakfast and get your creative juices going with a free flow of coffee. When inspiration strikes, bounce around new ideas over a game of table football. And as we value building strong connections between our team members, you can look forward to a regular lunch lottery, language tandems, and an annual team-building activity.