(Senior) Backend EngineerApply now
About the Role
Our engineering teams architect, develop, and test our products. As a Backend Developer, your mission is to build scalable and fast backend software for our platform which serves millions of views monthly. At InterNations you will contribute to connecting global minds and making expat life a great experience.
As a member of an international, cross-functional Product Experience Team (PXT), you will architect, implement, and test new functionality and maintain existing functionality using web technologies.
Our PXTs organize themselves using Agile methodologies and you will work closely with your Product Manager and your team on the feasibility of concepts and upcoming changes. You will write automated tests at the unit, integration, and acceptance levels to assure quality and longevity of our products and a sustainable pace for future changes.
As part of the greater engineering organization, you will lead and take part in cross-team initiatives: architectural changes, refactoring, and establishment of best practices.
What we are looking for:
- We are working with PHP, so a relevant experience in a language like PHP, Java, Scala, Kotlin, Python, or Ruby is needed
- Experience with a modern web framework like Symfony, Zend Framework, Laravel, Rails, Spring, or Django
- Experience with automated testing, whether it’s unit, functional and/or acceptance testing
- A strong interest for working with big datasets in relational databases, search indexes, or key-value stores
- Relevant interest or experience with distributed systems and scalability
What we value:
- Bettering our skills, teaching each other and learning ways to build better software
- User testing, experimentation, automated testing and continuous integration to gain meaningful feedback for what we do
- Fostering collaboration and cooperativeness
Technologies we use: PHP, Symfony, MariaDB, Solr, RabbitMQ, Redis, Memcached, Composer, Behat, PHPUnit
What we’re working on right now: Get in on the ground floor of our brand-new SPA and design system that is transforming our entire product and development experience!
Where we work: Although we’re based in Munich, Germany, our entire staff works across Europe. We are remote-first: all of our colleagues are free to work from home, the office, or elsewhere—or even a combination of those. We only ask that you join us from Europe.
Sound interesting? Then send us your CV today!
Want to get to know your future colleagues a bit better? In this interview on our corporate blog, one of our Team Lead Software Engineering talks about his experience as a backend engineer at InterNations and what our company culture is like.
With over 4.5 million members in 420 cities worldwide, InterNations is the largest global community for people who live and work abroad. InterNations offers global and local networking and socializing, both online and face-to-face. At around 6,000 events and activities per month, expatriates can meet other global minds and pursue their interests. Members can also find and exchange tips and information on life abroad through discussion forums and helpful articles based on personal expat experiences. Membership is by approval only to ensure quality and trust in our community. InterNations is part of New Work SE, a group of brands that offer products and services for a better working life.
Although we have office in Munich, Germany, we're a remote-first company. All team members are free to work anywhere in Europe — from home, the office, or a combination of both. You can read more about InterNations becoming a remote-first company in our company blog.
Benefits of working at InterNations:
- a growing, dynamic company with an international team
- a centrally located office in Munich
- the possibility to work fully remote anywhere in Europe
- support with your visa application
- an ongoing sustainability initiative — we’re a climate-neutral company
- a friendly atmosphere and the space to pursue your ideas
- 28 paid vacation days + special paid leave
- the option to take a sabbatical after 3 years with InterNations
- part-time work contracts possible
- Albatross Membership for team members and their partners
- XING Premium membership
- regular team bonding events to connect our team members wherever they are
- regular workshops, training sessions, cross-departmental projects & exchanges
At InterNations, you’ll be working in a friendly atmosphere geared toward bringing out your creativity and independence. With our flat organizational structure, you’ll have lots of room to pursue your own ideas. If you’re a working parent, you’ll find the flexibility you need to support your work-life balance. All team members can work remotely anywhere in Europe, or from our Munich office. And as we value building strong connections between our team members, especially in a remote setting, you can look forward to coffee lotteries, language tandems, department exchanges, and regular team-bonding activities.