Join now

Problems getting credit card from Deutsche Bank (Hamburg)

Has anyone had problems getting credit card from Deutsche Bank?

I moved to Germany (Hamburg) two months ago from New Zealand and one of my friends recommended Deutsche Bank as they have English phone and internet banking. When I went to open the account I was promised that I’ll be issued with a gold credit card after the first salary is deposited into my account.

But I when I did not hear from them for two months, I enquired, and I was asked to go to the branch to fill in a form. Now, two weeks after filling the form they are telling me that I won’t be able to get a credit card from Deutsche Bank for ‘few months’.

I have had two gold credit cards from banks in Australia and New Zealand for around 10 years, have an unblemished credit history and have a pretty good salary package in Germany. I do not understand what the problem is.

To top all this, when I enquired for reason for them to say ‘few months’ to issue me a Credit card, I received a rude email saying that if I need a Credit Card soon then I should go to another bank such as Barclays.

One of my friends who moved to Berlin from Italy 4 months ago received a credit card within 2 weeks of opening an account. He is new to Germany too and is 4 years younger than me. I don't know why they are treating me this way.

Is this common in German Banking system or is it typical of Deutsche Bank?

Any other bank recommendations?

Hamburg Forum

Our Global Partners