Natural Dyeing with Block Printing (Mumbai)
The art of traditional block printing on to cotton cloth is thought to have existed in India for over Protected content . Evidence of the Indian craftsman's unsurpassed skill with printed and dyed cotton cloth appears throughout history. They used complex techniques to achieve desired patterns, and they changed from place to place depending on the weather conditions and materials available. Each pattern, motif meant something and spoke of their identity.
The five hour workshop will introduce you to the basics of hand block printing and dyeing using natural materials available around you. It will cover the following :
- Understanding natural dyes and its properties
- Understanding block printing practices in India
- Identifying locally available materials
- Preparing the fabric for dyeing and mordanting
- Practice dyeing using two local materials
- How to extract colours and how to use them as dye and colour paste
- Techniques of block printing, practice printing on scarf to take home
- Post treatment of fabric
You will be introduced to the locally available ingredients that can be used for dyeing at the workshop. We will be making samples using two ingredients - Manjista and Katachu. Also you will get to carry Annato seeds and Palash flowers to try at home.
Bonus: You will take home a printed scarf and dyed fabric samples along with a ready-to-start beginner kit.
Fee: Rs 3,000/- including all materials.
Lunch break of half an hour. Please carry lunch or you can walk over for a bite from the many restaurants close by.
Artist: Prajna Rajanna of MOTIFS OF THE EARTH
LAST DATE TO REGISTER - MARCH 31, Protected content
Tickets available on:
Or write to us: Protected content
Thank you! :)