Join now

Blue Card information (Munich)

Hello,

I wanted to get some information about the "Blue Card" program in Munich. I am from the US (Boston) and am currently employed at a medical device start-up here in Munich. I've been here about 9 months now... and things have really been very unsettling (which I know is the nature of start-ups in general, but really more so here in recent months). I moved here for this job with my wife and 2 sons.

I do have some questions on my blue card status if either the company goes out of business.... or if I decide to look for other opportunities. I am not really comfortable asking around my office ... so I thought that maybe I would inquire around this forum.

Specifically, (for anyone that has been employed here via Blue Card... or is an employer of Blue Card professionals) what would happen if this start-up goes out of business? Would I then be deported back to the US? Alternatively, am I even in any position to look for other opportunities in Munich? Does the fact that my company brought me over via the Blue Card program mean I can ONLY work for them here? If so, is there some sort of an expiration date in which I am obligated to work for them typically.

I realize that I do need to do some homework on this. I was just wondering if there is someone who I can bounce questions off of regarding this.

Thanks, Terry

Munich Forum

Our Global Partners