Join now

Considering Job Offer in Munich

Hello :)

I never imagined I’d live anywhere but the USA but this opportunity seems like one that would be too big to pass up to move to Munich Germany and allow my children this world experience.

There are, however, many things I am very concerned about so I joined here to see if anyone else has had a similar situation or questions.

1) I have homeschooled my children from birth. It is illegal to do so in Germany. You’d think I would automatically never consider moving where I’d lose a freedom so near and dear to my heart but I do believe I have prepared my 12, 15, and 17 year olds well where they would succeed academically. With that said, I have no idea how our homeschool “transcripts” would transfer. Would my kids remain at grade level? How would one know? Is there testing they’d have to be registered for to be placed? Are the International schools challenging academically? Do the International Schools prepare kids for German Colleges and Universities? Can I take my kids out of school for holidays according to our faith which are different from that of Christianity? Is there a lot of bullying in International Schools? We are Messianic Hebrews and we wonder if my children will experience anti-semitism. I read stories of this happening down in Berlin but we are considering Munich. How much is the parental involvement in German International Schools? Are parents encouraged or discouraged from involvement? Can I get a scope and sequence of their grade levels? Boy I have tons of school related questions.

2) We are Texans through and through and giving up our right to bear arms is no small consideration. Has anyone else made this transition to a zero right to bear arms country from the USA who’d like to share their experience?

3) What laws, in addition to the two huge ones I’ve mentioned above, are different in Germany than in the States? Is there the same freedoms other than the obvious no right to bear arms or homeshool? What other rights will I have to give up to live there?

4) Are German University classes taught in English?

5) We are a family of 5 with two big dogs. We’d need at least a 4 bedroom house with a yard. Is that even remotely available? What type of price range are we looking at for this? What is the best way to go about house hunting to meet our desire to live outside Center City Munich but not too far away from there for job commute ease?

6) Is health care good??? What is considered “good” health care there? Do you need state approval for surgeries and other procedures and can you be denied certain procedures or meds by the state?

7) How does one figure out cost of living differences between the States and Munich? Are the online salary surveys for Munich accurate? Do people in Germany tend to make less for the same job a person in America does or is it opposite?

8) Other than the amazing opportunity to travel Europe easily, what are some things about Munich Americans get that they’d never have in the States? Free college is definitely a huge one IF the colleges are good. Are the colleges/universities good? What else?

9) If no one has a car, how do Germans grocery shop? I mean seriously, obviously a once every two week shopping trip to the grocery is not feasible if you have to walk, ride a bike, or take a train. I’m wondering what day to Day Life will be like. Do houses and flats have private laundry facilities? How much is renters insurance?

10) How much is a car in Germany? How much is car insurance in Germany? How much is gas per gallon? How old do kids have to be to drive? Do Americans have to take a driving class to legally drive in Germany? I hear The Autobahn rules are very different from AMERICAN highway rules. How does one learn the rules for German roads before you move to Germany?

11) My girls figure skate. Is there a place for them near Munich to continue their figure skating sport with a private coach? They are at Freestyle level.

Protected content is the worst thing about Germany that Americans have experienced there? The Best thing? From an American living there please. Thank you.

13) Do expats who don’t speak German experience discrimination and prejudice?

14) We are talking German with Rosetta Stone but how much time realistically does it take to really be able to communicate well once living there? Assuming one is very motivated in their studies spending Protected content per day in Rosetta Stone as suggested?

15) Can you make it successful if you speak horrible German or barely any at all?

16) Are TV and Movies all in German?

17) Is there any entertainment in English at all? Does Netflix or Hulu work in Munich? In English?

18) What is your number ONE suggestion to our family if we move to Munich to make our transition be the best?

Thank you!

I have more questions but this is a start. Anything you think I need to know but didn’t ask, please tell me!!!!

Kathy

Munich Forum

Our Global Partners