Join now

Opening a Bank Account in France (Paris)

Hello,

I've just arrived in Paris (less than two weeks ago) and I am having the worst time trying to get Internet set up in my apartment, which is essential for me as I work from home!

No carrier will let me have Internet without a French bank account. OK, but it's been impossible to open a French bank account so far!

I've tried the Banque Postale twice -- first they want something like an Internet bill in my name (what a Catch- Protected content course I can't have an Internet bill in my name until I get Internet -- which I can't get without a bank account -- etc.). The owner of my apartment wanted to keep the utility bills in her name and I'll reimburse her...which means I have no utility bills in my name. I have the rental contract and a letter from her and copies of her ID, taxes foncieres, taxe d'habitation, etc., but they are insisting that I must bring in the original ID of the owner of my apartment -- this is impossible, since she lives in Italy.

Then I tried BNP Paribas and they told me that I must have a minimum of 10,000 EUR in order to open an account (!). Absurd.

Ideas? Anyone? Please help! This is so frustrating!

Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners
Offers from our Partners

Paris Forum