Join InterNations

The world's largest expat community

A Comprehensive Guide on Moving to Venezuela

  • Connect with fellow expats in Venezuela

  • Join exciting events and groups for expats

  • Get information in our expat guides

  • Exchange tips about expat life in Venezuela

  • Peter B. Krehmer

    I have made useful business contacts on the InterNations platform. This is better than any other networking event I have attended so far.

An amazing community is waiting for you!

Meet internacional people at local events

Socialize, enjoy hobbies, and make friends

Get info, and feel at home abroad!

Relocating to Venezuela

The Land and Its People

The collapse of Gran Colombia in 1830 saw three countries emerge, Venezuela being one of them. Home to just under 30 million people, Venezuela is said to be one of the most diverse countries in the world. Although known for its many natural features, the wide variance of its territory and its petroleum industry, Venezuela is also home to many protected habitats of a wide selection of wildlife.

Located on the northern coast of South America, Venezuela comprises many islands in the Caribbean Sea and a continental mainland. To the east it borders Guyana, to the west is Colombia, and to the south it borders Brazil. Off its northern coast are the Caribbean islands of Barbados, Trinidad and Tobago, Aruba and the Grenadines to name a few.

Venezuela is one of most urbanized places in Latin America. A huge proportion of the country’s population lives in the north of Venezuela, predominantly in the capital city of Caracas.

Because of decreases in infant mortality rates, a very high percentage of Venezuelan people are young. Approximately 30% of the population are aged 14 or below, but only 4 % are aged 65 and above. The main language spoken by Venezuelans is Spanish.

Famous Venezuelans include fashion designer Carolina Herrera and actress Eva Mendes. The main religion in Venezuela is Roman Catholic. Around 92% of the population there are Catholic and the other 8% protestant or other religion.

Climate in Venezuela

There are four temperature zones in Venezuela, and whilst annual temperatures tend not to fluctuate that much, humidity does make a difference to the climate.

  • Tropical Zone – This is below 800 meters, and the average temperature in this zone is between 26 and 28°C
  • Temperate Zone – Between 200 and 800 meters, average temperature is between 12 and 25°C. It’s worth noting that most of the cities in Venezuela are situated in this zone.
  • Cool Zone – Where altitudes fall between 2,000 and 3,000 meters, the average temperature is around 10°C.
  • Páramos – High mountainous areas over 3,000 meters have average temperatures below 8°C.

As Venezuela is situated in the Southern Hemisphere, winter or better said the wet season is from May to November, and the dry season, i.e. summer, from December till April.

Getting to Venezuela

Simon Bolivar International Airport, also called Maiquetia airport, is the main international airport in Venezuela. Located in the Vargas state it is situated about 30 minutes from the capital city of Caracas.

There are many daily direct flights from Europe and the USA to Venezuela, which makes the country very accessible for expats who are looking to move here. Although Venezuela has road links with Brazil and Colombia we would not recommend driving long journeys in this country. The traffic is very bad and drivers can be aggressive and not respectful to other road users. Expats who are moving to Venezuela should stick to traveling by air.

May 25, 2024, 9:00 PM
5 attendees
Let's try for a bilingual coffee time to meet and mingle
Feb 24, 2024, 9:00 PM
6 attendees
Join us for a Spanglish coffee get together. Let's chat and mingle and get to know each other and build the community back up.
Let's start December with style and open the season with a night filled with gaitas and parranda. These are traditional music we hear during the holiday and we can enjoy them with a nice cold beer.
Oct 21, 2023, 12:00 AM
10 attendees
Join us to celebrate Oktoberfest, learn more about the history and traditions of this event and have some beers too.

See all upcoming events for expats in Venezuela

Our Global Partners

  • Peter B. Krehmer

    I have made useful business contacts on the InterNations platform. This is better than any other networking event I have attended so far.

  • Maria Cristina Alves

    Thanks to InterNations, I found a babysitter here in Caracas. She's such a nice person and has almost become a part of the family.

Our Global Partners

Communities in Venezuela

Like-Minded Expatriates in Venezuela

Venezuela Guide Topics