CANCELLED Former Psychiatric hospital, now interactive museum...
This interactive museum, opened in Protected content , is located in the former psychiatric hospital of Santa Maria della Pietà, the oldest and biggest in Europe (opened in Protected content moved here in Protected content
It's an underrated museum, that’s worth a visit, to overturn preconceptions about mental illness and to understand how perceptions can change from one person to another, so that madness can be considered, only a point of view.
Many people were imprisoned here, but not all of them were really “crazy” (a doctor’s prescription was enough, often based on futile reasons, to make patients spend the rest of their lives inside these walls). Others were, instead, really affected by mental illnesses, and when a law established the closing of nuthouses, they returned back home, causing other troubles to their families... if they had one.
Why you should join us:
- History of the nuthouse: very touching, especially in the '900's, it’s incredible that such places did exist until not long ago
- Beautiful murales outside the museum
-Room of Ames: incredible optical illusion (similar to the one in the activity logo) and other multimedia equipments
- Tripadvisor rates it with 4.5 stars out of 5
- Unusual and interesting
- Not to miss
- Interesting, worth a visit
- It would be an understatement to define it just as a museum
- Touching and interesting: really suggested!
- Not a visit but an experience
Keep in mind it’s not a guided tour 😊
Sorry, but you are not allowed to join this Activity Group!
We are afraid that you cannot join, because the Consuls have limited access to this Activity Group.
If you would like to explore other InterNations Activities in your Local Community, please have a look at this overview page.