Beijing Executive Intern
Newman Tours are currently offering paid twelve-month Fast-Track Internship Positions to native English speakers capable of leading our highly successful tours. As a small but fast-expanding company, we provide valuable career development opportunities in both business management and the tourism industry.
ABOUT NEWMAN TOURS:
We’re a British-managed tour guide company that is passionate about China.
What makes us special is our easy to understand native English speaking guides; the way in which we bring our tours to life with illustrative photos and video clips on our iPads; and the way in which we use Chinese cultural activities like water calligraphy and fortune sticks to make the experiences we offer interactive and inclusive. As a result we are not only highly thought of by tourists, expats and corporate clients alike (click here to see their reviews), but are also highly acclaimed by the media (click here for media reviews). In June Protected content Tours was therefore awarded a Protected content Of Excellence for our Public, Private and Tailored Tours in both Shanghai and Beijing, making us the only China specialist tour company to receive the award in both cities (click here to learn about our awards and what makes us special).
We’ve developed insightful and amusing tours in-and-around Xi’an, Beijing, and Shanghai, which you will be paid to learn and lead:
- in Xi'an we offer Muslim District Tours, Terracotta Warriors Excursions, Shaanxi Museum Tours, Tang Dynasty (Daming Palace) Tours, and Monkey King Tours.
- In Beijing, we offer Forbidden City Tours, Religion & Ritual Tours, Summer Palace Tours, China In 50 Objects Tours, Ghost Tours, Hutong Adventures, and Warlord Tours.
- In Shanghai, we offer tours of The Bund, The French Concession, and The Shanghai Museum. In addition we offer interactive Ancient Shanghai Tours, Gangster Tours, Ghost Tours, Kung Fu Tours, Jewish Ghetto Tours, and Shanghai Future Tours.
FAST-TRACK EXECUTIVE INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME:
We’re currently looking for talented native English speakers for twelve-month Executive Roles.
These positions will not only give you the chance to lead exciting tours in-and-around Xi’an, Shanghai, or Beijing. They’ll also give you the opportunity to try your hand at administration, accounting, human resources, marketing, public relations, and sales, as well as developing your Chinese-language skills.
- - As a Newman Tours guide, you’ll get to see the most beautiful gardens, temples, and palaces in China. You’ll become an expert on the Terracotta Warriors, or the Forbidden City, or the Bund in Shanghai, and, best of all, be paid to do so.
- You’ll be paid a three-month probationary wage of 4,400RMB per month, followed by 5,400RMB per month for the second three-month period, 6,900RMB per month for the third three months, and 8,400RMB per month for the final three months.
- Your Chinese visa(s) and reasonable associated costs will be covered, and we’ll help advise you through the process.
- You’ll be able to take Chinese classes with our Chinese-language partner, Panda Chinese, at cost price (currently 50rmb for a 50 minute class).
- You’ll receive 15% of any tour-guide revenue received from any new clients who acknowledge you as the person from whom they first heard about Newman Tours during a period of six months from the date of that guest’s first tour taking place.
- You’ll receive tips on your tours, and can keep those that are for you. During peak seasons, our guides have made in excess of 800RMB in one month from tips on top of their standard salary.
- If needed, we can provide accommodation for a period of up to seven days whilst you’re looking for an apartment when you first arrive. In addition, we can provide assistance in finding and negotiating for suitable accommodation outside of work hours.
- Many of our tours feature meals, drinks and refreshments that enable you to experience some of the best restaurants and bars in town free of charge.
- You will have a good chance of being offered a full-time position and salary if you impress during your Fast-Track position.
- In Shanghai, you would work in a very-well located office just five minutes from Jing’an Temple, or be surrounded by communal Hutongs in the heart of ancient Beijing, or only a walk away from the Buddhist pagodas and the city walls of ancient Xi’an.
- You’ll lead corporate tours for CEOs, Partners, Directors and Senior Managers from some of the world’s leading companies. Recent clients include Google, BP, Rio Tinto, Apple, Senior Partners for Pricewaterhouse Coopers, the Board Of Directors for Dash Brands, and the ambassadors of Iraq and Costa Rica.
- You’ll meet interesting and influential guests from all over the world, ranging from academics and business people to backpackers and doctors.
- You’ll be able to polish your public-speaking skills by telling engaging stories to people of all ages.
- You’ll receive paid, hands-on training for all the tours you’ll lead. You’ll also be trained in Dealing with tour inquiries, managing and scheduling tours, accurately recording, analysing, and controlling the company’s financial day-to-day operations, and helping market Newman Tours both in China and overseas.
To be applicable for the Newman Tours Executive Fast-Track Programme you must:
- Be a native English speaker.
- Have a Bachelor’s Degree (any subject).
- Be able to work the full twelve-months, if it’s been under two years since you graduated.
- Be flexible. Although Tour Guides will have a standard working schedule of 40 hours per week, from Friday through to Tuesday, or Wednesday through to Sunday, it will sometimes be necessary to change this to accommodate clients. Overtime will be paid.
- Be enthusiastic, friendly, and outgoing with a reasonable knowledge of, and interest in, China’s history and culture.
- Be willing to present to strangers clearly and concisely, and to project your voice.
- Have a good memory in order to remember your tours.
- Have strong inter-personal skills, a good sense of humour and the ability to think on your feet, as our tours as fun and interactive.
- Have your own laptop computer that is reasonably fast, and be willing to use it for office work. You must also have a smart phone that is capable of running Wechat, taking photos, and recording audio.
- Have good organisational skills, phone manner, and Microsoft Office skills.
- Be willing to work in Xi’an, Beijing, or Shanghai and to relocate from one to the other if needed. (Of course, if we ask you to relocate from one city to another, then all reasonable costs will be paid. We also guarantee you that you won’t be asked to move office more than once a year).
It would be advantageous to have:
- Performance and tour industry experience as well as Mandarin Chinese and other language skills. The Xi’an and Beijing positions will need stronger spoken-Mandarin.
- SEO, web design, and Adobe Illustrator skills.
- Marketing experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send us an email at Protected content with the heading ‘Fast-Track Executive Internship Programme’:
- An English-language CV, with any relevant work-experience and qualifications.
- A Protected content article about how the influence of the Opium Wars can still be seen in China today.
Applications must be made before 30th April Protected content .
Applicants must be able to start no later than 1 May Protected content .