Join now

Whole/Organic Food Club (Dominican Republic)

Dear Inter Nations Family,

My husband and I have been here for a little over a month and are loving every minute of Santo Domingo but find we are continually running into a few dietary inconveniences. We are adventurous eaters but pay close attention to food labels and prefer to eat vegan, sugar free, and halal when possible. We feel that while there are an abundance of both whole foods and processed foods there is a middle ground missing. In Canada we were able to pick up "fast foods" that were healthy and cheap. Things like hummus, salsa, pickles, etc.

We have discussed creating a "whole food club" as a mini business here in Santo Domingo to create this middle ground to supplement where the grocery stores cannot. Or, try and eliminate cost where possible. We would make, from scratch, the foods that are unavailable at the grocery store and have them labeled to suit food preferences. We have been making our own food, soap, dog treats forever so why not do it here?! We think a bi-weekly food ordering system would be a way for people to order food and the quantity would help keep the cost down for everyone.

Items would be sensitive to various dietary preferences including:
- vegans
- vegetarians
- halal
- kosher
- whole foods
- raw foods
- sugar free
- organic
- etc.

Items would include but not be limited to:
- hummus
- guacamole
- salsa (Pico de Gallo style)
- mango salsa
- pasta sauce
- pickled carrots
- pickled garlic (Lebanese style)
- sugar scrub (exfoliating soap)

Items that have potential:
- baby food
- dehydrated fruit
- dog food/treats

If you are interested in or if any of this information resonates with you please email me at pugsley. Protected content or call me at Protected content introduce yourself and your dietary preferences!