Our Essential Services
Make Relocating Easy for You.
Our team of experts is ready to help you find a home abroad, move your household goods, and settle into your new country.Start here
Working in Gurgaon
Find out how to get a job and work in Gurgaon
With the third income per capita in India, Gurgaon is a place full of work opportunities for expats thinking about working there due to the big number of international companies established in the city. Read more about local economy, work permits and income taxation in our guide!
Need to move abroad? Organizing an international relocation is not something you should do on your own. As expats, we understand what you need, and offer the the essential services to help you move and live abroad easily. Contact us today to jump start your move, and begin the preparations with our free relocation checklist.
Employment in Gurgaon
A far cry from its origins as small village, Gurgaon now has the third highest income per capita in all of India, and one of the country’s fastest growing economies. Gurgaon’s economic output comes mainly from the service sector, which has grown rapidly over the last few years.
In particular, it is home to many outsourcing customer service and information technology support companies, which has led it to be called one of the most important outsourcing locations in the world. In addition to customer service and IT support, there are also outsourcing firms specializing in shipping and delivery, sales, and software.
The growing economy has led many multinational corporations to establish offices and Indian headquarters in the city, including Coca-Cola, IBM, American Express, Microsoft, and Bank of America. Expatriates working in Gurgaon are usually employed by one of the many corporations based in the city, or in outsourcing.
Work Permits for Gurgaon
The Indian visa system does not require expatriates working in Gurgaon to apply for a work permit separately from their work visa. There are two kinds of visas for working in Gurgaon, and both must be applied for in your home country through your embassy or consulate. The employment visa is for expatriates wanting to work in Gurgaon for a company or do volunteer work. These will usually last for between two and five months, depending on the professional and employment status of the expatriate, and can be renewed. The second type is the business visa, which is for expatriates working in Gurgaon for or on behalf of a foreign company, and usually lasts for six months.
Income Taxation in Gurgaon
The Indian income tax system is notoriously complex, particularly when it comes to foreigners. Expatriates working in Gurgaon will be required to pay income tax, but what counts as taxable income depends on their residency status. There are three different states of residency for tax purposes
- Resident and Ordinarily Resident (ROR) — Applies to those who have either lived in India for more than 182 days in the fiscal year or in the last four years have been in India for 365 days or more and are in India for a period of more than 60 days at present. They pay tax at Indian rates on their worldwide income.
- Resident but Not Ordinarily Resident (RNOR) — Someone who satisfies the requirements for ROR, but has been a non-resident in India for 9 out 10 years preceding the current year or has been out of India for 729 days or less during the last 7 years. They are taxed at Indian rates on income earned in India and any income that is accrued or arises in India.
- Non Resident (NR) — Someone who does not satisfy the requirements for Resident and Ordinarily Resident. They pay tax at Indian rates on their Indian income only.
The income tax rates for expatriates working in Gurgaon for 2015 are as follows:
- 0 to 250,000 INR — No tax
- 250,001 to 500,000 INR — 10%
- 500,001 to 1,000,000 INR — 20%
- Above 1,000,000 INR — 30%
Do you want to relocate? If you have never moved abroad, the process will be overwhelming, and if you have, you know the burden that lies ahead. Whatever stage you are at, InterNations GO! can help you with a complete set of relocation services, such as home finding, school search, visa solutions, and even pet relocation. Our expert expat team is ready to get your relocation going, so why not jump-start your move abroad and contact us today? Best to start early!