Official Event Guidelines
- InterNations Official Events are get-togethers organized for an entire InterNations Community. With a few exceptions (please see below), InterNations Official Events are open to all members and their guests.
- InterNations Activities are smaller get-togethers within groups where members can share a common interest or hobby (e.g. going to a concert together, practicing language skills, going on a hike). For more details, please review our Activity Guidelines.
- InterNations provides the infrastructure to organize activities. The voluntary organizers do not represent InterNations as vicarious agents. In the case of gross negligence by the organizers, InterNations therefore does not accept any legal responsibility for resulting damages.
- Neither InterNations nor the event organizers assume liability for any loss of or damage to personal property, nor shall they be held responsible in the event of financial, physical, or emotional damage. (See our General Terms & Conditions for further details). Organizers and attendees of in-person events agree to adhere to any official health guidelines and local COVID-19 restrictions.
As a member of InterNations, you have agreed to adhere to our General Terms & Conditions and to respect our standards of conduct. Please behave in a respectful manner towards InterNations members, hosts, and staff — both in person and online. InterNations reserves the right to take any action necessary to ensure the high quality of our official events and that all members and guests feel welcome.
For Official Event Organizers
InterNations Official Events are suggested by our local Ambassadors and published and promoted by InterNations. We reserve the right to decline and remove official event posts that don’t follow the guidelines below.
- All InterNations Official Events should be aligned with our mission to create a great experience and a trusted community where expats feel at home around the world.
We do not allow official events that
- are linked to the host’s or a relative of the host’s business / serve a commercial purpose;
- are linked to an organization that the host promotes and/or works for;
- are co-hosted with another social network — InterNations Official Events must be exclusive to InterNations;
- are organized or featured on another website or social network — you can share the event link to your social networks, though;
- could be considered discriminatory or intolerant;
- are inappropriate or sexual in nature.
- Entrance fees (if applicable) may not serve the financial interest of the event organizers.
- Fundraising events must be approved in advance by the Community Engagement Specialist. All donations must be transferred in full to a registered non-profit organization and reported to InterNations by the end of the month.
Content of Official Event Posts
We don’t allow the use of any copyrighted or trademarked content in your event posts. This includes the
title, description, and images.
- Cover photos from third-party sources are only allowed if you hold the copyright or have permission to use them (for example, from the venue owner).
- Information or content from third-party sources is only allowed if you hold the copyright or have permission to use it. Always provide a link to the content or original source of information with an explanatory comment (see our General Terms & Conditions for further details).
- Use high-quality cover photos and avoid collages.
- Use English — our common language — for all event posts, including the title. If you do use another language in the event description, always add a translation or additional explanation in English.
- Give your event post a clear and concise title.
- Don’t change the InterNations standard font or use emojis.
- Don’t use excessive punctuation (!!??!!!) or CAPITAL letters. This may be viewed as shouting.
- Don’t use discriminatory, offensive, or inappropriate language.
- Remember our international audience and respect all members. The same guidelines as when writing a forum post also apply to event posts (including comments on the wall).
For Members and Guests at Official Events
- InterNations Official Events are open to all members and their guests. The only exceptions are events with closed guest lists due to limited space or registration deadlines and events organized exclusively for Albatross Members, newcomers, and/or expats.
- If you accept an event invitation and later cannot attend, you should cancel your attendance on the InterNations website or app before the event begins. Knowing the correct number of participants makes it easier for the organizer to plan the event and make any necessary reservations.
- To ensure the security, quality, and exclusivity of our online events, InterNations provides premium Zoom accounts to event organizers. You are not allowed to share Zoom links with third parties.
- InterNations reserves the right to collect an entrance fee for official events. This fee is used by Ambassadors to compensate them for any expenses and cover event-related costs (e.g. name tags, welcome drinks, DJ). Entrance fees (if applicable) may not serve the financial interest of the event organizers. Albatross Members usually enjoy free or reduced entry to official events.
When Attending Official Events
- In the spirit of connecting global minds, we ask you to help other members feel welcome at InterNations Official Events.
- Any member behaving in an inappropriate manner at an event — be it in person or online — is subject to having their InterNations membership revoked.
- By accepting an official event invitation, you acknowledge InterNations’ right to publish any photographs, screenshots, or film footage taken at the event on the InterNations website, app, and/or on any platform approved by InterNations. If you wish to refuse, you must clearly express this wish to the photographer or videographer at the event. If you would like us to remove a photograph already published on the InterNations website or app, contact InterNations at firstname.lastname@example.org.