Join now

Re: Watch out for Gimmicks (Santiago de Chile)

Protected content a former professor of Spanish, ESL/EFL at GA TECH, Georgia Perimeter College, Georgia State University, and Georgia Department of Education for 25 years, I have come to experience and realize that many local private institutes in Santiago advertise and offer immersion programs for 3 months at a very low cost, leading prospective Spanish learners to believe that Spanish is just learning how to roll "rrrr¨s" and try to assimilate the 'j" which is an Arabic sound left from the Moors. In addition, research indicates that it takes 2,000 hours to learn what we, linguists, called BICS (2 years)- Basic Interpersonal Communicative Skills - and double the amount to acquire CALP Protected content ) - Cognitive Academic Language Development - And forget about mastering the Spanish subjunctive!! Draw your own conclusions!!!
Protected content , I have started and created a new approach to learning a Spanish - it works best when the instruction is on a one to-one basis or small groups as the process begins with mastering the sound system of Spanish so that one does not have to work on correcting sounds later in the process, taking into account that many wrongly acquired sounds may never be corrected, and in turn, become fossilized. Collocations - another new trend in Spanish language learning - by definition are familiar grouping of words, especially words that habitually appear together and thereby convey meaning by association, e.g, noun plus noun, such as "comida chatarra", phrasal verbs with the preposition that applies "ir a". viajar para".pasar por". "juntarse con" and many other millions of collocations..
Protected content currently have three students with whom I am using this method and it is working fabulously.
I hold a Master of Science in Linguistics from GSU in Atlanta, Georgia and was a pioneer in creating Spanish for Specific Purposes such as Spanish for Law Enforcements and Spanish for Classroom Teachers in the Greater Atlanta area in the early 90´s.
For more information, please contact: Juan Avalos at Protected content . I will be more than glad to hear what you may have to say about this new approach to Spanish learning and rants and raves about your personal experience.

Cheers you all!

Juan Avalos