Join now

Trouble Finding Work (Kuala Lumpur)

Hello everyone. I'm new to Internations but I've lived in Malaysia for the last 2 years or so. I moved here with my wife who is Malaysian so that she could rejoin her family. We also started a restaurant that did quite well until we recently sold it to look for careers that are a better fit for us and where we are in our lives.

I'm an IT worker but I'm also a classically trained French Saucier. I've spent the bulk of my professional life working in IT while devoting my free time to catering, consulting, working private chef contracts and studying global cuisine. I'm trying to find out how to break into the IT field here in Malaysia. I've been trying JobStreet but have met with little success. I've also tried contacting several major local recruiters and a handful of headhunters but all I seem to get back are "no reply" form letters.

The only headhunter who has actually sat down with me gave me some resume/CV formatting tips to implement but I still haven't been able to get a single nibble from any of the jobs I've applied for. I really feel like I'm missing some fundamental obstacle or some obvious roadblock that's keeping me unemployed but I'm at a loss to figure out what it is. I've tried applying for everything from entry level jobs to senior management positions and the feedback has been consistently form letter rejections or nothing at all.

Can someone maybe help me to figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Protected content