Join now

Volunteers needed for Saturday school in Alex (Johannesburg)

Before I give any more details, I should remark here that this is an opportunity that is really only suitable for people willing to volunteer and commit long term, it's not a once off! If you think you can commit please get in touch with the school director Louise Cameron at Protected content who will give you more details and advice
Rose Act Saturday School in Alexandra township desperately needs tutors in English and Maths for the upcoming year, as well as classroom assistants for English and Maths classes. You do not necessarily need teaching experience to do this, but willingness to work with and inspire young people is of course a must!

The school provides extra support in English and Maths for kids from Alex every Saturday of the academic yr (starting from Feb ending in Nov) with breaks for school holidays

Classes are 2 hrs each for English (08: Protected content and Maths (11: Protected content with a specific curriculum which has been created by the school for each.

The school itself is based in Central Johannesburg College which is on the edge of Alexandra/Bramley (between Canning Rd and London Rd) and classes range from Grade Protected content .

You can read more about Rose Act, which is part of the Rays of Hope charity here Protected content

Finally from personal experience (I started volunteering last August) I can say that this is an often challenging but very rewarding way to give back and make a change. The other staff of Rose Act are truly inspiring people and the kids, whilst sometimes frustrating, are really special and keep you motivated :)